Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kung-fu Yeti
Jul 5, 2004

by Ozma
I really like this film. Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, Gary Oldman, Ian Holm, and Chris Tucker all played their parts well, and the characters were likeable. I liked the universe and story that Luc Besson told. It was a nice blending of science fiction and fantasy, and the whole thing seemed really exotic and bizarre. The special effects are also very impressive.

However, as much as I like 'The Fifth Element', I don't think it's perfect.

The first flaw I think 'TFE' has is that the plot doesn't seem epic enough. I mean, they go from ONE city on Earth to Fhloston, and then back to Earth again. It's a very fun, tight little tale, but I think this kind of subject matter could have supported a larger, more grand adventure. Maybe instead of going to pick up the Stones, the heroes have to go across the Universe to find them, going to different planets and such. Maybe the Mondoshawans are extinct, and they have to find their planet since its the hiding place for the Stones. It didn't have to be Star Wars, but I think it should have been bigger in scale. Maybe show more aliens (as it is, they only have the Mondoshawans, the Mangalores, the Diva, and that weird anteater thing in Zorg's office). I mean, the setting seemed so weird and awesome; I would love to see more of it.

The second flaw, I think, is how the whole Zorg character is handled. Gary Oldman did a great job, but I think the character itself could have been expanded on a little bit. Why exactly did he want Evil to destroy the Universe? How exactly did he learn about the Stones? Also, he never meets the heroes. He encounters Leeloo at Fhloston, but only briefly and then he's by himself again. The Mangalores, too, could have been fleshed out.

Despite these faults, I think 'The Fifth Element' deserves a 4.5. Very, very solid film from beginning to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU