Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tstone
Apr 18, 2002
This cost me five dollars.
I never saw the film while it was in the theater, primarily because I thought the film's title was retarded. After seeing it on video a year or two later (it was recommended by a friend who claimed the CG and violence was well worth it), I changed my mind. He was right - for the time, the CG effects were great. True, the storyline was somewhat campy and there was alot of YAY FOR HUMANS BUGS ARE EVIL in it, but there WERE tits, albeit lame ones.

Actually I'm posting because I didn't see a mention of the CG animated series based more on the book than the movie. It went by the name of 'Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles', and came out around 2000 or so. It was kind of frustrating to try and follow it at the time, because none of the networks could figure out where it fit. It was violent, people (and lots of bugs) died regularly, there were some GREAT weapons (AND powered armor...) and ships and such, but because it was animated, it got stuck on the BKN Network during early-morning cartoons. Sci-Fi eventually picked it up, but they were kind of at a loss for a good spot for it as well.

The series was divided into campaigns on different worlds, all leading up to the invasion of Earth. And with 2 or 3 episodes left to complete the series, Sony PULLED THE loving PLUG ON IT. And never really gave a good reason for doing so. They finally got their poo poo together a year or two later and released all the episodes on a series of DVD's (which I foolishly bought) but never finished the series. Fuckers. They are available through Amazon; and if you liked the movie but missed some of the technology in the book, you ought to consider getting these. The animation is Toy-Story quality, it features some recognizable actors doing voice-over, and the storylines aren't quite as hoky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU