Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellysia
Apr 18, 2003
I enjoyed this movie a lot. It has everything you want in mindless entertainment, nudity, lots of violence, crazy hostile alien things that tear people up, and a few well-placed witticisms.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that although this is set in the future, they still use machine guns and grenades; classic weapons, to great effect. It's awesome to watch bugs get killed by real bullets than by some fancy laser poo poo.

Yeah, the acting wasn't the greatest, but I don't think they could get away with no background on the characters. I found the story necessary, and pleasantly low-key. Just enough history so you knew who people were, but not their entire life story.

Either way, the action and special effects more than make up for it, and for that alone it's a great movie. You don't get the feeling that there was anything they couldn't do because of budget or technological restrictions. Watching this movie on a high-quality home theater is quite an experience to behold.

There is also definitely some comedic value, with occasional clever lines, as well as various circumstantial humor revolving around the whole idea that it's the human race vs crazy bugs from space. There's no jokes that are cheesy or out of place, and there's no stupid rear end comic relief that detracts from the general mood (ie Chris Tucker in any movie ever).

That said, this is a movie people either love or hate. I loved it for the violence, the dry humor, the simple plot that doesn't give you a headache when you want to just chill out and watch bugs get blasted, and of course, the tits. A lot of people hate it, some because it just doesn't do anything for them as a movie (these people expect Oscar-worthy stories in every movie ever made; yes I'm over-generalizing), and some because it deviates from the story that was in the book, apparently to an extreme degree (I haven't read the book). I usually make it a point to not give a poo poo about the differences between books and movies adapted from books, because it usually ends up disappointing. If you find yourself falling into this category, I suggest you try it too.

The Bottom Line: If you want a deeply influential movie that touches your heart and changes your life, look somewhere else. You want a kick-rear end action movie with tons of violence that you can just veg out to, this is your ticket.

If you enjoyed Dawn of the Dead (2004), you'd probably enjoy this.

4.5/5

EDIT: You want a hilariously awful movie, check out the sequel. All you haters haven't seen bad until you've seen that.

ellysia fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU