Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrayChild
Feb 20, 2004

Considering how many terrible fighting alien movies there are I have always loved this one. It tells not only of humans vs. aliens but it has true character developement and the plot (although cheezy/cliche) is pulled off in a way that doesn't make me think "oh boy its like blade with bugs."

Anyways, resently I saw that a starship troopers 2 existed so I watched it on one of the movie channels hoping/expecting more of the same to be very sorely disappointed.

4.5/5

(1.5 for the sequel don't see it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrayChild
Feb 20, 2004

Jesto posted:

Caught this a few days with commercials in it and with the nudity cut out. Still a drat good film, though. As I had never heard of this movie before (well, I had watched ST:2 but never ST:1), I began to wonder why all the actors sounded so.. odd. As well as why everything seemed over over the top and how bugs could have launched an asteroid at giant earth city.

Then I remembered the end of Starship Troopers 2 and began to see the movie as if I were in some recruitment office being shown an motivational film, or rather, propaganda. And if I'm right, the asteroid was just some random asteroid, the bugs didn't have anything to do with it. The humans just wanted someone to blame for so many of their loved ones dying, something to get their rage out against and boost recruitment numbers, rather than just accepting that sometimes poo poo happens.

That said, this movie, even with commercials, was worth missing sleep over. Having not read the book, I must give the movie 5.5/5. But even if I had, I find it unfair to try and judge a movie by its book, or vice versa, when they should be regarded as independant from one another except in that they share simularities.

Intresting note: if I remember correctly many of the propaganda since in the movie can be matched up (like camera angles etc.) with the nazi propaganda :eng101: