Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it's 'campy'. Yeah it's so bad that maybe someone considers it 'good'.

It's a werid story for me. I liked the drat film, I really did. Watched when it came out in the cinemas and thought 'hell, that was fun'. I won't bore you with why because the reasons have already been covered and it's nothing deep anyway. It was fun and I like 'action sci-fi', or science fiction set in wars and stuff.

Then I read the book.

SomethingAwful.com kicked some serious rear end in a thread about science fiction and what was missing from a lot of it. Some well read members pointed me in the direction of some classic sci-fi works I had not read (all of which I've polished off in the last few months) and one of these was Starship Troopers.

Well, well.

Now I think the movie sucked. Purely because of what it missed, the actual quality of it's original text and the cheese factor that is completely no-existant in the book. Yeah I know what you're thinking 'The book is always better, blah blah' but this was seriously chalk and cheese. I thought the movie was ok because I just let it stand on it's own for a bit of fun, you know, just one of those films that you forget quickly but say 'oh yeah, that was ok' when someone mentions it.

The book is something ill always remember and is an example of what I consider high quality, adult science fiction.

So if I don't compare them. The movie was ok. 3 out of 5 I guess, there as some cool CG (yawn). If I think about the book and what Starship Troopers really means to me? It's a 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU