Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Directed by: John Carpenter
Starring: Kurt Russell

Set in the winter of 1982 at a research station in Antarctica where a twelve man research team stumbles onto an alien being, an alien being has the ability to perfectly mimic any form of life perfectly. The research team soon learns the truth about the alien and besides fighting for their lives they must fight against their own paranoia, the elements, and their own sanity to discover who is human and who is The Thing.

The movie has an all star cast including Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley and Keith David.

A special note should be given to Rob Bottin and his crack effects team, who did an incredible job of special effects.

This is by far my favorite John Carpenter film and a must see for any fan.

RATING: 5

CONS: Special effects might seem a bit dated.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

Mrens fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Handeman
Oct 2, 2002

holy shit video game thumbs!!!
One of my favorite horror flicks of all time. Kurt Russell is amazing in his role, and the suspicious nature all the crew have with eachother is really good as well.

5 stars here

I'm The Handeman and i approve this movie

EDIT: greatest line- "Yea gently caress you too!"---throws a grenade

The Handeman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 12, 2004

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
As far as I know, this is the first movie to have a monster that wasn't obviously just a guy in a suit. Botin, Carpenter and Stan Winstons really come up with some great ideas for how to represent a form-stealing shapshifter. The way the group of scientists slowly disintegrates under their paranoia is really well done as well.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
I remember seeing this for the first time at age 10, no sleep that night.

Great movie, 5/5.

pogue23
Aug 15, 2002

Son, I am disappoint.
"the Thing" is John Carpenter's Masterpiece.

Perfect slow burn
perfect character dynamics
perfect atmosphere
perfect sense of dread
perfect special effects

10/10

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
This movie is amazingly creepy, despite its dated appearance. Pure paranoia on film.

4/5

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Not to mention the outstanding music.

5/5

sans
May 1, 2004

The mind, that ocean where each kind does straight its own resemblance find; yet it creates, transcending these, far other worlds, and other seas
I strongly agree. Best Carpenter movie (just beats Big Trouble In Little China), and one of the best horror movies ever. Hasn't really aged a bit. The scene where they're doing the blood tests is just classic!

rh101
Oct 5, 2003
stealing signs is fun
The isolation felt while watching this one is as terrifying as the creature itself.

MacReady is the man.

9/10

j00
Jan 9, 2003

by Lowtax
One of my favourite films. I disagree about the effects, one of the great things about goo'n'rubber effects is if they're done well, which they unquestionably are in The Thing, they won't date the way CGI invariably will.

"You gotta be loving kidding me!"

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
Another genuine horror classic.

Hopelessly gory, a terrifically menacing creature, an incredible level of paranoia (whenever I show this to someone new for the first time, you can almost cut the tension with a knife at the infamous blood test scene), some great effects that stand up well for the most part, a fun script, excellent acting, and just a superb general atmosphere.

5/5, it's one of the prides of my DVD collection.

"Now if you gentlemen would be so kind... I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS loving COUCH!!"

Glovebox Joe
Dec 22, 2002
Possibly my favorite horror movie ever. Without a doubt one of the most atmospheric movies of all time.

5/5

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The atmosphere of The Thing combines the fear of the inhuman, paranoia, and hopelessness all at once. Unfortunately, that's also it's weakness, as sixteen year old girls will pan this movie having no way to relate to it and find it stupid. Still, it's one of the best horror movies ever made.

5/5

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
When I saw this flick in the theatre, I think I left finger dents in the armrests.
A genuine no-holds-barred rear end clencher of a film.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

This movie is loving brilliant. It is also a remake, and the original from the 1950s is very, very good for its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
5 Stars.

Greatest horror movie ever made and the best use of animatronics in any movie as well.

I don't like the fact that Ennio Morricone's excellent soundtrack was not utilized to its fullest extent since Tarantino picked up 3 unused tracks to use as filler for The Hateful Eight.