Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
After hearing a lot of praise for this movie I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Charlotte (Johanssen) is lonely and looking for depth in her life. Bob (Murray) is depressed about the twilight of his career and his disconnect with his family. The centerpiece of the story is these two characters recognizing each other's loneliness and unexpectedly finding friendship.

I don't think it was as pretentious as many detractors say. The characters were not "deep", but it doesn't really matter. The important part was showing two people at very different points in their lives making an improbable connection. There was some understandable jealousy and friction between them at one point, but unlike most movies this one didn't pull out the drama llama.

Yet I'm still mostly wondering what the fuss is about. The home-movie stretches where the camera (or Charlotte) goggled at Tokyo sights were just boring. So was Bob hamming it up talking to Japanese people he didn't understand.

It was a nice movie with two characters made out of something other than cardboard, but it wasn't a classic.

3.5 out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU