Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I didn't get this movie, didn't really like it all that much, and am not sure where all the praise came from. It's an interesting premise, and has a few good points, but I never felt a narrative flow emerging. Just semi-random incidents in the lives of two strangers in a place they don't understand. Possible story threads are raised, but the movie doesn't go anywhere with them, they're left hanging and forgotten. Such as after Bob's one-night stand with the lounge singer, and the complete lack of discussion of this by Charlotte. Or the obvious marital issues that both are having, which are only touched on in a rambling enlightenment speech by Bob. I wasn't expecting them to run off together in the end (and would've been even more disappointed if they had, to be fair), but it only felt like half a movie. The boring, "transitional" half, at that. The fact that the movie is barely 100 minutes adds to this sense of incompletion.

Before tonight (and through most of the first part of the movie), I wondered if my ability to understand Japanese would "ruin" the movie, and I'm glad to say that's not the case. It was the random, disjointed, and irrelevant script that ruined it for me.

Rated 2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU