Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods
EDIT - I originally gave this amplifier high praise but after recently using it with a drum set and other instruments I am going to have to change my stance on this significantly.

KUSTOM QUAD 100 DFX 2x12 Guitar Amplifier - Solid State
Price: $400 used (with two foot switches)
Year: 2006

Specs

100 watts Solid State Combo amp
Two 12 inch Celestion Speakers
Two channels each with their own EQ and preamp type
Effects Loop (thank god)
Footswitch (not included if bought new)
Line out to go straight into a PA
8 built in effects

Sound 2/5

The amplifier suffers from bad distortion issues at high levels on the lead channel, the clean channel sounds ok at high volumes but the bass shakes the hell out of the cabinet giving it a bad rattling sound.

Quality 3/5

The speakers are Celestions but they can only do so much as the head itself can't handle a loud tone.

Playability 2/5

The need for additional effects and having to buy your own footswitch brings the playability down because out of the box the clean channel is the only pro sounding feature on it. This is an ok practice amp but just gets killed with other instruments playing. Solid State still cannot match tube

Overall Value - 2/5

I wish this sounded as good at high levels as it does at low, the drat thing just breaks up too easy and the sound is mediocre at high levels. Though I originally gave high scores, it fell apart at practices. Recommendation to avoid.

ruinedhero fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl

Sabian Paragon Ride
Price Paid / Price New: $250/$350
Year Manufactured: 2010
Specs:
Size: 21"
Sound: Medium
Weight: 8.5lbs
Hammering: Machine hammered bow, hand hammered bell.
Finish: Brilliant

Sound: 5/5. Very few cymbals these days really like to sit in the pocket between a bright sound and a dark sound. The paragon's sound is right in that pocket, providing a very clear articulate sound, without being obnoxious. Unlike other heavy cymbals, the paragon ride has a much more refined sound. The ride does not sound like a heavy cymbal in tone, it's got a medium to low pitch, with a nice subtle was that does not get in the way. Special mention must be made of the bell, which is this rides strongest feature. The bell is very dark, and fairly funky, for its size and weight. To get a darker, lower pitched, bell most companies have to make the bell larger, however this throws off the sound of the rest of the cymbal. The paragon ride has the sound of a mega bell, without actually having a large bell, which keeps the pitch right in that middle pocket. Also, because it is a heavy cymbal, there is a lot of stick definition. The paragon ride is the absolute best ride out on the market for any type of rock, or various types of fusion. It is also by far the most musical ride in its weight class.

Instrument Quality: 5/5. Sabian makes great products, and this ride is no exception. It is well put together, with a great looking finish.

Playbility: 4/5. The bell on most cymbals is slightly awkward to play, because most of the time it is at a odd angle, this is not a problem for the paragon. the only fault this ride has is, because of it's weight, it is next to impossible to crash. But this is only a small issue. The stick responds great on both the bell, and bow of the cymbal, with either the tip or shaft of the stick.

Overall Value: 5/5. This ride simply just does not sound like a $350 cymbal. With the amount of versatility and musicality that this cymbal has it sounds just as good as some of the $600 cymbals, if not better than some of them. It is the very definition of what a good rock ride is supposed to sound like: Clear, crisp, and not to bright. If rock is your game this is the best ride on the market. If you play jazz or funk, this ride still beats out most of the competitors. If you only have the money for one ride cymbal, and you enjoy going from one style to another, this is the ride for you.

Additional: Since this is a heavy cymbal, you might need to purchase a new stand just for it, or get some sand bags, because it will make a loaded down stand topple.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Music Man Sixty Five Reverb Head & 115 RH Sixty Five cabinet
Price Paid / Price New: $300/$445+$275 (head/cab)
Year Manufactured: 1974-1979
Specs:
65watt RMS max output
Solid state preamp
2x EL34s in the power amp
12AX7 Phase Inverter
Spring reverb

Sound: 4.5/5
It's got a very good tonal range. The tone controls are very responsive and it's very quiet in terms of noise. I can get pretty much any tone imaginable out of this. More importantly, it takes pedals very well. I like personally like to define my tone more through pedals than tube drive. It's a midpoint between a Fender Princeton and a HIWATT. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is you don't have the option for preamp tube overdrive... not that I would use it.

Equipment Quality: Example 5/5.
It's still running, and judging by the exterior state, that's quite an achievement.

Usefullness: It's an amp... whacha want?

Overall Value: Example 5/5.
Worth every penny and then some

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl

Tama Starclassic Bubinga Snare
Price Paid / Price New: $300/$550 (I love clearance)
Specs:
Size: 14x6.5
Wood: 8-ply Bubinga
Sound: Dark/Warm
Finish: Black Metallic/Gold Inlay
Sound: 5/5 If you like a dark snare with throngs of character, this drum is for you. Bubinga is a darker wood than mahogany, giving you even more warmth and a mix with more low end frequency. For as fat and warm as this snare is, it's also really cutting. It also tunes really easy, and the tuning range is fairly wide. You can tune it down for a fatter sound, and still get the good stick definition that you would get at a medium or higher tuning. On top of all of that, you get great die-cast hoops that focus the sound up even more, and give great rimshots. This is by far the best, and most versatile I own, and have ever played. Although if you're buying one new, I might recommend looking for a 14x8 if you got the extra money, though it might be a little too fat if you don't already like deep snares. But over all the 14x6.5 sounds great on it's own, so unless you like depth, save yourself a few bucks and get this size. Plus 14x8's are a bitch to find.
Instrument Quality: 5/5 Tama makes great drums, with great hardware. If this thing ever breaks I'll take this review down, and quit drums for life.
Playbility: No real rating, it's a snare, if you tune your head right it plays well. The rims are higher than some snares due to the die-cast hoops which makes rimshots easier I guess.
Overall Value: I would have payed full price for this snare. I might have even payed, gasp, list price for it, it's that good. If you only got money for one snare, get this one because it will serve you better in different styles of music more than any other snare.
Additional: Did I mention I love the finishes on these drums? It may not change the way they sound, but drat they're sexy.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Snark Chromatic All-Instrument Tuner, Red
Price Paid / Price New: $13/$Up to 40, depending on store.
Specs:
High sensitivity vibration sensor and internal mic
Display rotates 360 degrees for easy viewing
Extended frequency range for all instruments
Pitch Calibration (415-466 Hz)
Tap Tempo Metronome
Instrument Quality: 4/5 Plastic feels a tiny bit less than solid. But it's assembled really well.
Playbility:5/5 It just works. Fast.
Overall Value: 5/5. Buy one of these. Now. Backlit for when you have to tune behind stage and it's dark, or in someone's basement and it's dark. Works by vibration or an internal mic. Just plain works. Fast. I can't say how simple this is, or how effective. Clip on, hit the power button, tune, tune, tune. Instant response. Bright, easily read dial. Accuracy of a plug-in tuner. Works with any instrument. Violins, whatever. Oh, the picture doesn't make it obvious. It's on a swivel, so you can have it at any angle you want.

CaptainKirkCameron
Jan 15, 2010
Casio ConcertMate 410 (Stock)
Price paid/price new: $9.99/Not sure.
Years manufactured: 1990s(?)

Specs: Revolting off gray/purple plastic body, 5 drum effects, 12 keyboard instruments, octave shifter, reverberation, 12 rhythms, automated keyboard rhythm lines, 18 demo songs, 80% of buttons in working condition.

Sound: 1.5/5. The stock sound is, unsurprisingly, anemic- after all, this is a 37 key kid's keyboard. It's meant to be played for thirty minutes by a 7 year old, then stored in an attic for fifteen years, and then given away to the Salvation Army so people like me can pick it up and mutilate its circuitry.

Instrument quality: 1.75/5. Another department in which this instrument disappoints. The buttons are cheap plastic and difficult to press down, although this may have resulted from a catastrophic soda spill at one point in time- probably in the 1990s, judging by the extremely sticky deposits in the grooves of the speaker molding.

Playability: 4/5. This is the ConcertMate's saving grace- the keyboard is easy to play, providing you don't mind getting carpal tunnel syndrome from tapping incessantly on the miniscule keys. Unlike most lovely kid's keyboards made today (and they keep getting shittier, I swear), you can play more than two notes simultaneously without the system overloading and deciding to ignore the demands of your fingers. The keyboard controls are endearing but surprisingly screwy, pre-schoolers beware.

Overall value: 5/5. One of the best ten dollars I've ever spent. I've wasted hours and hours bending the circuitry and adding my own switches, then running it through pedals and a tube amp to get some wicked sounds. This keyboard is the only instrument I've so far used for the RPM Challenge 2011, because it rocks if you give it a little TLC. With the proper amount of grit and determination, you can unleash the ConcertMate beast!

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

Got a pair of reviews to toss up.

First one:

Line 6 Pod Studio UX2

Price Paid / Price New: $179 (on sale)/ $250

Specs:
Ins and Outs:
• 1/4-inch guitar input (normal or pad)
• Two balanced XLR inputs with mic preamps
• Gain knobs
• Phantom power
• 1/4-inch stereo monitor input
• Two 1/4-inch line inputs
• Two balanced 1/4-inch line out
• S/PDIF digital out
• 1/4-inch stereo headphone out with level control
• Assignable VU meters
• Up to two inputs can be used at any time.

Additional Features:
• USB bus-powered
• ASIO, WDM and OS X Drivers
• ToneDirect™ monitoring (supposed to reduce latency)
• Up to 24-bit/96 kHz recording
• POD Farm 2 Standalone and Plug-in (Windows RTAS/VST, Mac AU/RTAS/VST)

Software Includes:
• 18 guitar amp models with 24 cab models
• 5 bass amp models with 5 bass cab models
• 29 effect models expnaded to 64 with the FX Junkie pack (included with purchase)
• 6 mic preamp models
• USB 1.1 and 2.0 compatible

Sound: 4/5
Sound, in this case, can be measured in a few ways. The major ones that actually matter are the Mic Pres and the Modeling package.

The Mic Pres seem pretty transparent to my ears. I'm not the most educated when it comes to mic pres and their quality, but these seem to do pretty well. It was a shock when I heard my SM57 through this thing, instead of the (awful) mic pre on my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum - that means just about anything else is going to sound amazing to me.

The Modeling is well done. Sounds are mostly authentic and you can get the sounds you want with little effort. It's a little odd to listen to them from speakers or through headphones instead of a real amp, but I easily adjusted to the change.

It's important to note that you can get a whole lot of distorted tones, but few clean tones are represented here.

Equipment Quality: 4/5
It's intended to be set on your desk and have its knobs fiddled with - it's not meant to be used in a live environment. For its intended purpose, the build quality it just good enough, though it is mostly made of plastic.

While it's on the lighter side, it is heavy enough to counterbalance the weight of all front inputs having cables plugged into them. So it has that going for it, I guess.

Usefullness: 5/5
My intent when purchasing this was to fulfill the following roles:
• A better microphone interface for when I record my "live" guitar setup
• A way to record without my "live" guitar setup so I don't piss off my neighbors/girlfriend, especially late at night
• To be able to record 2 mics silumtaneously for a podcast

I've used it for all of those so far and it works fantastically. The software package can be used standalone, or as a plugin to your favorite DAW. If you use it as a plugin, you actually record your unprocessed signal. That means if you change your mind about the tone later, you can completely tweak it without re-recording the part. It lets you focus on getting the best performance, THEN going back and making sure the tone is just right.

Overall Value: 4/5
It's an extremely handy, well-made, effective unit.

Other
There is one thing to be aware of in regards to the models. Each amp model only has Gain, Hi, Mid, Low, and Volume controls. No on-board effects are represented within the models themselves. This means that when you load up an old Fender tone, you have to load up a separate Reverb effect into the chain. Same goes for the old Jazz Chorus - no chorus is present on the amp.

You can also pair any amp with any cab. Ever wanted to hear what a little Vox sounds like through a 4-speaker Marshall cab? Have at it. Want to run a Mesa-boogie head through an old Fender amp's speaker? You're more than welcome to.

You can run 2 separate amp/effect chains per instance, save entire rigs, and map switches and knobs to MIDI. You can also load up the "Pod Farm Elements" VSTs - these are separate plugins that allow you to load up a small family of effects (like distortions or mic preamps) without needing to have the full package open.

In all, an excellent buy. I'm more than happy with it!

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

The second one!

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus

Price Paid / Price New: $179/$179

Specs:
Input
IEC connector (the same type used for your computer's power supply:

Output
5.5x2.1mm barrel connectors - center negative

Included Cables
5.5x2.1mm right angle barrel connectors (6)
5.5x2.1mm straight barrel connectors (2)
5.5x2.5mm “red” barrel for L6 (1)
3.5mm mini plug for vintage MXR or Electro-Harmonix (1)
9V battery snap for pedals without a power jack (1)

Power Output:
Output | DC Voltage | Max current
1-4 (ACA) | 9V | 100mA
5-6 (L6) | 9V | 250mA
7-8 (SAG) | 9V | 100mA

Physical
Dimensions: 6" wide x 3.4" deep x 1.75" tall (152 x 86 x 45 mm)
Weight: 2 lbs. (0.9 kg)

Special
Rear Courtesy Auxiliary AC outlet, 200 watts max

Sound: 5/5
While a pedal powering unit isn't made to generate sounds, they can be noisy. This thing is supposed to stop any excess hum and electrical noise from coming into your signal chain. It does this very well.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
This thing is built like a tank. It's surprisingly heavy for its size. I'd gig with it and not be afraid of hurting it, though the cables are a little flimsy - but that's normal for power cables. They do suggest that you mount the whole thing to a pedalboard for this reason.

Usefullness: 4/5
You buy this once and never have to pay for batteries again. That alone makes it well worth it. It can also support Line 6 (higher milliamp requirements) and Boss Dual-Pedals (though you use up two spots for them). It's also got Sag knobs for outputs 7 and 8 so you can simulate dying batteries in old fuzz pedals. Nifty little trick.

The value here is somewhat self-explanatory: you don't need to buy 9 volts ever again. Though it takes some time, the unit will eventually pay for itself. And it comes bundled with enough to make it ready-to-use out of the box for most people.

MissMachine
Feb 13, 2011
Gibson Explorer
Price Paid / Price New: $1250/1399
Year Manufactured: Example: 2009

496R Hot Ceramic and 500T Super Ceramic humbuckers
22 fret rosewood fretboard, mahogany body
it's WHITE.

Sound: 5/5 This guitar sounds great no matter what I plug it into. I can play anything from open mics to live gigs with a full band. It's fantastic, I haven't picked up any of my other 14 guitars since I bought it three years ago.

Instrument Quality: 3/5 The toggle switch loosened up really quickly after I bought it. I'm constantly having to tighten it, and it pops a little bit when I flip it. It doesn't really bother me anymore, either it's not noticable or I'm just used to it by now, or I drink too much when I play. Also, I've managed to wear a huge gray spot on the front/top of the guitar. (It's white) My sweaty arm is wearing through the paint, so I threw a sticker on there. Expect to wear through the paint, or don't hardly play it ever.

Playbility: 5/5. I didn't know how good I was at guitar until I played this pretty lady. It's got excellent sustain when I'm using a reverb pedal, and it epics the hell out of anything you're trying to play. I play everything from blues to thrash, and I've never had a guitar I like playing more. It's versatile, but it's also kind of obnoxious, so we get along great.

Overall Value: 4/5. Coming from a person whose other guitars cost mostly between $200-$800 new, this guitar is SWEET. I don't know how a guitar elitist might feel.

I'm an owner of many guitars, most of them lovely. I have 4 Ibanez G-10s, 2 Squier Strats, a FENDER strat (which I love but not as much as the Gibson) an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (yuck), a Hohner of some kind, a 1964 Gibson SG Special (I never touch it, it's mint with an awesome fuzzy orange case) , a Hohner acoustic, an Ibanez electric-acoustic, a Fender electric-acoustic, and a buch of bass guitars, which I won't get into. Most of these I've collected since I started playing guitar at 8, so they're not in the greatest shape, and I've taken some of the Ibanezes apart and traded necks and all kinds of good stuff. Being the first moderately expensive guitar I've ever picked out for myself (it only took me 18 years), this Gibson meant a lot to me when I first got it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's been playing a long time and wants a good upgrade that will last.

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl

Tama Starclassic Bubinga 5-piece Shell Pack
Price Paid / Price New: $2400/$2800 (I love clearance)
Specs:
Rack Sizes: 10"x8" 12"x9"
Floor Sizes: 14"x12" 16"x14"
Kick Size: 22"x20"
Sound: Dark/Warm
Finish: Red Mahogany Burst
Sound: 5/5 Tama is always serious about their drums, and this kit shows. If your looking for the generic record sounding drum kit you might want to look elsewhere, but if you want a truly special kit this is the one for you. With this kit Tama took the rulebook for making a dense would kit, and promptly threw it out the window. You know how most mahogany (or other dense wood) kits have fairly thin shells, this was th industry standard for the longest time. On a dense wood kit, a thin shell would help real in the more extreme overtones in the wood. The problem was, the shells were always very quiet compared to a normal maple shell. This kit brakes the mold by using shells of normal thickness, these bad bays are full on 8 ply drums. To focus the drums over tones of the shells, Tama used die-cast hoops on this kit. What Tama came out with is the darkest "rock" kit out on the market. With enough power to be heard through the amplified mix, this is a kit that relies on raw volume rather than cut to get the drums heard. Because the drums do not just simply cut through the mix, they actually fully fill up the band's sound. Not only is this kit loud, but it actually sings. I have never heard a kit with this much tone this loud. Because the shells are bubinga the drums have a wonderful body to them, that lasts the full length of the hit. In a lot of maple kits, the body of a drum will cut out half way through the hit, so it's nice getting tone all the way to the end. Finally I would like to mention tuning. Because of the thickness of the shell, and the density of the wood, these drums have the biggest sweets spots I have ever heard. While these drums may not be able to be tuned high enough for some of you bob freaks out there, the depths to which they can go is astonishing. For someone who plays RnB having drums that can be tuned that low, and be all the fatter for it is nice. Tama knows that sounds comes before all else, and they nailed it with this kit. This kit is one of those few kits that is versatile enough to play any style, but still has a unique sound that is all its own.
Instrument Quality: 5/5 Tama drums don't break, period, end of story. The lugs on these drums get special mention, they don't actually loosen from playing. While they may loosen from an extended car ride, tune them once before they move and they are good. This is more than can be said for some other companies, I'm looking at you DW.
Playbility: Die-cast hoops on the toms help focus their sound, but they are a bitch to get used to. This is my only complaint, that if you are a low sitter like I am, you will hit rims for a few weeks till you get used to the increased hight of the hoop.
Overall Value: Tama has really outdone themselves with this kit. This is a kit that defies the normal rules of how drums aught to be made, and it is all the better for it. If you want a big, fat, nasty drum kit this is the bad boy for you. It gets the job done, and does it better than any other kit like it. If you have a maple or birch kit, and you just want more this is for you.
Additional: The finish on this drum is just plain sexy. Red drums are classy as hell, and the slow fade is all the better. Also on a side note, the kick sounds better if you don't muffle it, the little bit of ring you get off of it is actually really good at filling up you bands sound.

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl
I forgot to post a review up of this when I first got it.

Sabian AAX X-Plosion Crash
Price Paid / Price New: $0/$265 (I love abusing warranties)
Specs:
Size: 20"
Sound: Modern Bright
Weight: 4.5ish lbs
Hammering: Large pin machine hammering.
Finish: Brilliant

Sound: 3/5. It's a big washy crash, there isn't a whole lot to mess up. There are better big washy crashes out there ( the 20" paragon is really good if your looking for a bright 20") but this cymbal gets the job done. It also works as a extra light ride, so for all of you guys out there who have heavy rides take note of this. This is a good sounding 20" crash, it's just not on the same level as others. The only big issue, is that the crash doesn't have a whole lot of body.

Instrument Quality: 5/5. Sabian makes great products. If it breaks, you're playing it wrong.

Playbility: 5/5. It's a crash, you hit it, it makes noise. The crash responds well, and the bow gives enough rebound for some light riding.

Overall Value: 4/5. This crash gets the job done well enough to be recommended, but there are better 20s in different lines than this one, so unless you want a 20 without a lot of body I would say look at your options before getting this crash.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Agile Septor Elite 827 EB DNC White

HiRes pic (it's huge)(my hosting)

Price Paid (new): $849
Year Manufactured: 2011
Specs:
27" scale 8-string electric guitar
Lightweight Mahogany arch-top body with high gloss finish
Ebony fretboard with 24 jumbo frets (fretboard radius: 16")
Two Seymour Duncan Blackout active humbuckers
Hipshot bridge
Grover 18-1 ratio tuners
Ernie Ball 8-string Slinkys (10-13-17-30-42-54-64-74)

Sound: 4.5/5 - This is my first 8-string (and first guitar with active pickups) so I wasn't sure what to expect. I had the choice of either the Duncans or EMG 808s, and all research pointed towards the Duncans (EMGs are apparently a bit compressed and overtly bassy on the low F#).

I wasn't disappointed; the Blackout neck has a bell-like clean tone, and the bridge has slightly sharp cleans, with a well-rounded tone. There is no overt muddiness on the low F# (tuned to drop-E), and it sounds good with both fingerstyle and picking.
Distorted tones are similar, with the neck pickup offering a unique booming sound on the drop-E and a smooth full tone on the rest. It sounds great for soloing, with no unnecessary EQ boosting. The bridge pickup handles everything just as well, with quality sounds for every genre I've tried.
Note: I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like the tone control might be active. With it on full the tone has a sharper high end with a helluva bite, but crank it down and the guitar takes on a jazzy tone, without the traditional boominess that seems to happen on my other guitars. This gives me an extra range of sound closer to that of passive pickups, while still keeping the extra output.
Unplugged it has decent projection with crisp highs, which I assume is because of the Ebony fretboard. It doesn't have the reach that a chambered guitar would, but there's enough of it to hear in a quiet room.

The only negative is some annoying resonating tone on the low-B, caused by the string vibrating before the nut. I've had to use a rubber band and cotton to stop it, since it's prevalent enough to screw up any palm-mutes or quick stops.

Instrument Quality: 4.5/5 - The guitar arrived in perfect condition, with no scratches, paint flaws, fret issues, or intonation problems. I was a little worried before, considering the issues some people have had with Agiles, but I seemed to luck out. The volume and tone pots are smooth as hell, and the 18-1 tuners are the tightest/most precise I've ever used.

It does have an issue with the battery slot though; the slot is just barely big enough for the battery, and the connector can't be extended beyond the slot. This means I have to force the battery in at a weird angle, then use something to press it into the connector (usually taking a lot more force than I'd like). I'm not sure how to fix this, and it means a battery change can take upwards of 10 minutes.

Playbility: 5/5 - Here's where the guitar really shines. Like I said before, it came with perfect intonation and amazing action. This is usually the area where a shipped guitar fails, but the Agile was perfect right out of the box. I don't know how it compares to something like the Ibanez RGA8, but it's extremely capable on it's own. To put it another way I don't feel limited by the guitar. I'm not a fast player so speedy solos are outside my ability, but I can reach my peak no problem with this and still feel there's room to expand.
I also gained the benefit of being able to cover a wider range of music with little more than a capo. This is a great solution, since switching guitars constantly sucked.

One of my conditions for the 8 was to have a 27"+ scale, which narrowed it down to Agile and Ibanez. The additional scale length in this case allows for higher string tension, making lower tunings retain their feel much better and giving longer sustain at regular tunings. It does mean the frets are slightly further apart, but it's not that dramatic. Just means I can no longer span a 6-fret gap low on the fretboard.
Even the width of the neck isn't an issue, since I'd been using my six-string bass as a guitar for a while before. I'd imagine it would be hard coming from a six-string, but if you're moving up from a seven it'll be a minor adjustment.

Overall Value: 4.8/5 - This is about as perfect a guitar as I could expect in this price range. 8-string guitars are still an uncommon breed, and there are very few in the $800-1000 price range that feel worth that amount of money. I did have the option of spending anywhere from around $500-1200 for an 8-string, but the one with the specific features I wanted was $850. Still, one could spend $650 and get a great guitar, just with a different arrangement. I did end up getting the last one of this specific model, making apparent how quickly the stock can change.
(Note: Rondo Music does have a custom shop, open once or twice a year. I haven't checked it out personally, but it allows a much greater level of customization, at a slightly higher cost.)

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay more than I did for the guitar (not saying that it's not worth more though), since I feel that $849 is the perfect price point for it. I would definitely recommend Agile to anyone in the US thanks to the quick shipping (got mine in 1 day with regular ground) and the return policy (7 days for full refund, and people have been able to switch models around if they didn't like theirs), but outside the US it's more of a crapshoot (no returns, high shipping costs).

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

SE Electronics GM10 Clamp-on Acoustic Guitar microphone (Sound on Sound review linked)

Price Paid / Price New: I paid £90; I've seen it up to £300(!)
Year Manufactured: Not sure. It's a new ish product so . . . let's go with 2010, though I've had it since January.
Specs: It's a guitar clamp with a built in small, capacitor microphone; the microphone quality is surprisingly good, and it removes a ton of hassle from recording acoustic guitar. This waffle from the Sound on Sound review explains the mic well enough:

"The microphone itself features one of the smallest diameter true-capacitor capsules I've come across (most mics this size or smaller are back-electrets) and requires 48 Volt phantom power to operate. It offers a fixed cardioid pickup pattern, which is good for minimising spill from other sources but may sound less natural than an omni when used under ideal conditions. A resilient shockmount separates the mic capsule from the mounting, and a further shockmount at the end of the boom-arm doubly isolates the mic against vibrations."

It's light, the clamps for your guitar's body are rubberised so won't damage it, and you can achieve virtually any position you'd want for acoustic guitar without the mic slipping out of place. You can not swap the mic out for another though I'm not sure you'd want to.

Sound: 4 out of 5.

For such a small, weedy looking mic, the sound is surprisingly good. The clamp system, while a bit cumbersome, works well enough to put the mic in any sweet spot you can think of for positioning, and it picks up tone quite well - it has a bass roll-off switch which I have enabled sometimes as it can sound a bit boomy on my dreadnought Takamine (that is just how the guitar sounds and I can eliminate that with positioning the mic, but having a rollof switch is really nice); but really I was shocked at how good it sounds. I'm not sure of the frequency range it records off the top of my head but it sounds loving great if you want a clean acoustic guitar sound from a decent guitar. It doesn't lack anything - the low end even with the bass rolloff switch is well represented, mids are good, it's bright enough. The mic doesn't seem to have much of its own character; I prefer this, as it's simply accurate in what it captures. This is geared towards a totally clean sound.

It doesn't pick up any movement sounds from you or the guitar either - sudden movements won't cause a problem, I've jolted it around a lot playing standing up and it simply doesn't make a difference to the recorded sound - it does have two shockmounts, but also it's rigid enough to stay in place.

A little point about the sound it captures; sometimes I like a little more natural character to the sound I record - it isn't so good for capturing the ambience of a room, say; natural reverb in the recording space becomes irrelevant as it will not be captured though it might be possible with an awkward enough mic position! This is personal preference, I don't *always* want a totally clean, pure sound, but I have a different setup for stuff like that anyway, so it's a minor niggle. The sound is really great, it is representative of how the guitar sounds with no extras. So you can technically get a better sound, but at this price and with this convenience? Nope.

Just a note, it's not a gigging solution unless you can limit the sound the mic can pick up - it'll pick up sounds within a few feet of the guitar if they're loud enough. I wouldn't say that's a criticism of the product at all; it's for recording, not gigging, though if you're determined enough you could presumably get it to work out if you're not drowning the mic in sound.

Equipment Quality: 3 out of 5.

It has a sturdy, thin, steel build, of essentially some rods where you can adjust the angles; and while it can be a bit awkward looking, it keeps the mic in place. The clamps are wide and rubber, so it shouldn't damage your guitars, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it on a guitar overnight since you need it to be quite tightly clamped.

You need to be quite aware of where you're fixing it to the guitar too; until I had played with it enough I occasionally put it in some positions that were a tiny bit awkward for my playing, but this is NOT a big deal at all; just something to be aware of with ANY kind of clamp system. You have a boom arm to think about, basically, so give your strumming / picking hand room to move :)

I do find it quite ugly though. It's not elegant, but it is functional as hell. It is light, and doesn't seem to make the guitar seem any heavier. Playing standing up with it is just fine, your guitar won't feel heavier than usual.

Usefulness: 5 out of 5.

I got this to solve mic positioning fuss in my limited space for recording; it certainly did that. The thing keeps its position until you wish to change it; changing the mic position is very easy (you turn a few pegs to control the boom arm basically) and quick as hell too. It gives a clean, unfussy sound and the most important thing for me is this is a sound you can achieve again and again - I've recorded something, a month later decided to overdub it or add a new part, and I can achieve the *exact* same sound from the same guitar (assuming it's setup the same) - as the positioning is that accurate, and that controllable, this is great for long recording projects.

Outside of that scope, it falters; but that is the scope it is intended for, so I'm giving it full marks.

Overall Value: 4 out of 5.

I got it cheap, and I'm very very happy with it. It has made recording my acoustic guitars fast and reliable, without worrying too much about setup; sure, it's a little cumbersome in terms of design in that you need to think about how you're positioning it to give yourself room and get the mic where you want it, but once you have it set up for your positioning sweet spots, you're golden.

If you have ANY headaches, even minor ones, in terms of getting the acoustic sound you want, I strongly recommend this. It helps to know how to record acoustic (namely where to put the mic! This is all about mic positioning) but even if you don't, start by pointing it at the 12th-14th fret a good couple of inches back and play about until you get what you want, and I expect you'll be very happy.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I recently picked up a banjo at a music store and found that the style is pretty comfortable for me since I'm use to fingerpicking. I was going to buy a banjo, but I was thinking of holding off and asking for one for Christmas.

Are there any banjo players out there that could recommend a fantastic starter model within the price range of $300?

Thanks in advance!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fiction D posted:

Are there any banjo players out there that could recommend a fantastic starter model within the price range of $300?

For open-back banjos, Deering and Gold Tone are the go-to options for great starter instruments, but they usually start at a little over $300. Fender has one that is about $300 but I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other.

For resonator banjos in that price range I think that you are going to find mostly cheap imports, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The main thing that might be wrong with these is inconsistent QC at the factory so they can make good instruments if you are able to pick the best one out of a big pile and then get someone to set it up right.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I'll look into Gold Tone thanks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr. Amplifier (Gibson GA-5)
Price Paid / Price New: $399/Discontinued, but available commonly from $300-$600 on eBay
Year Manufactured: 2008

Specs:
5W, True Class-A tube
Approx. 8 lbs.
8" speaker
Two inputs, one low-impedance, one hi-impedance
One master volume knob

Sound: 4/5. Breaks up really nicely, allows for some cleaner sounds if you plug it into the hi-impedance channel. It's pretty loud for a 5 watt amp, but it is tube, soo...

The only thing is that there is no tone knob, so all tone options come in the form of external pedals, the guitar itself, and of course, the guitarist's fingers. This is handy if you like your amps to be particularly no-frills, but it's definitely not a do-it-all type amp.

The overdrive also gets a bit ragged, which can be desirable or it can be smoothed out by rolling back your guitar's tone knob. Also, don't expect any clean tones past 12 o'clock. If you hit the strings hard, you'll get some breakup at 10 o'clock on the volume.

Equipment Quality: 5/5. Sturdy, reliable, and lightweight, too. Gibson products are fairly well-made, and even a relatively cheap amp like this is put together well. No cosmetic issues, wiring appears to be neat and in order.

Usefulness: 4/5. Not exactly a versatile amp. Pretty much up to you as a guitarist to inflict your personal style on it. I've used it as a practice amp, and it's my main amp in my apartment because I can get it to be somewhat quiet. This is pretty clearly an amp made for the recording studio, though.

Overall Value: 5/5. Cheap, only getting cheaper, and available on eBay. If you need something that breaks up really well and records well, this is the amp for you. I've also gotten good results by running a preamp through the main input of the amp and using it to simulate power amp breakup in the studio. As far as smaller amps go, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck with the Gibson GA-5.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

19 o'clock posted:

Review from 2005.
Carvin C780 Acoustic-Electric

Just jumped in this thread for the first time in years and saw my review from 6 years ago (!!). An update on this guitar is that it has more than earned it's price tag back. Indestructible. Have done numerous bar and cruise ship shows with this guitar and recently replaced it with a C980 by Carvin. Review is forthcoming...

romans
Feb 24, 2011
Peavey 5150 II

Price 575(used)
Year '03
Specs

* 120 watts (rms) into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
* Six 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6GC power amp tubes
* 2-channel preamp switchable on front panel or remote footswitch
* Rhythm channel: pre-/post-gain, bright and crunch switches
* Lead channel: pre-/post-gain
* Presence and resonance controls
* Switchable post-EQ effects loop
* Adjustable bias and bias test points
* Preamp output

Sound 4/5

For the metal head to the jazz gentleman. In any scenario I have always felt this amp can create the right tone and mood. My only complaint is that it is sometimes hard to fine tune but that is because I don't change my tubes when I am suppose to ;)

Quality 4/5

Over the years I have had a couple issues. If I turn my presence past 8 on the Lead Channel I get an uncomfortable high pitch with some muffle noises, it is unnoticeable until one realizes it. The input jack need to be re-soldered. Nothing major though.

This is a tough amp. It has seen many many many gigs with the previous owner and me. Never changed a tube until recordings and it sounded great. It never had a flight case either.

Usefulness 5/5

This is a great amp for some one who wants to explore sounds with out spending an arm and a leg. I see these used a lot.

Value 5/5

This baby has been worth every penny. I know I could sell it for the same price but I don't think we will ever part.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Just an update on my earlier shitcanning of the Zoom R16 over the lack of lion drivers.

They just released a lion driver. Totally on time!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Gh0st_Preacher posted:

Line 6 Pod Studio UX2
Price Paid / Price New: $179 (on sale)/ $250

Sound: 4/5
Equipment Quality: 4/5
Usefullness: 5/5
It's an extremely handy, well-made, effective unit.

I bought this unit based on the glowing review above and now find myself regretting the purchase. So far there are two major issues:
a) the installer is a huge PITA. Update, install, update, activate, oops license manager crashed, update, let's redirect you to our home page and spawn a few dozen pop-ups, update, register, working. Took about 40 minutes until I was able to start just their basic software.
b) The included Pod software only allows playback via the hardware device. Got speakers hooked up to your PC ? Sorry, we don't support those. Get some extra speakers to plug into the UX2.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
Drum Workshop 5000 Turbo Series Single Bass Drum Pedal:

Quality: 5/5 This thing is built like a tank. I have large feet, and it feels so solid, fast, powerful, and just feels so natural to play, especially with bare feet. Lots of adjustments you can make, and the build quality is top notch.

Usefulness: 5/5 I've always had a pretty fast right foot, but I've never been able to play as well as I do as since I bought this pedal. The beater is pretty heavy, but it makes my strokes more consistent, powerful, extremely fast, and I am able to play doubles, fast singles, and quick bursts effortlessly. It also comes with a bag for gigging, which is awesome. By far the best pedal I've ever used. You need an Allan key to make the beater stay put once you position it, but beyond that it is just so solid and consistent and incredibly playable.

Value: 5/5 I ended up picking up the pedal bag and the pedal for about $225. It isn't the cheapest pedal, but for the quality, reliability, and just the improvement it has made in my playing (my bass drum is the center of my playing, since I play rock and metal for the most part) it is worth every penny.

Overall, can't say enough good things about this pedal. It's a beast, and has made a big difference in my playing.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

_Leviathan_ posted:

Drum Workshop 5000 Turbo Series Single Bass Drum Pedal:

Quality: 5/5 This thing is built like a tank. I have large feet, and it feels so solid, fast, powerful, and just feels so natural to play, especially with bare feet. Lots of adjustments you can make, and the build quality is top notch.

Usefulness: 5/5 I've always had a pretty fast right foot, but I've never been able to play as well as I do as since I bought this pedal. The beater is pretty heavy, but it makes my strokes more consistent, powerful, extremely fast, and I am able to play doubles, fast singles, and quick bursts effortlessly. It also comes with a bag for gigging, which is awesome. By far the best pedal I've ever used. You need an Allan key to make the beater stay put once you position it, but beyond that it is just so solid and consistent and incredibly playable.

Value: 5/5 I ended up picking up the pedal bag and the pedal for about $225. It isn't the cheapest pedal, but for the quality, reliability, and just the improvement it has made in my playing (my bass drum is the center of my playing, since I play rock and metal for the most part) it is worth every penny.

Overall, can't say enough good things about this pedal. It's a beast, and has made a big difference in my playing.

I can second this about the DW5000 accelerator pedal also. They are really great pedals.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Title of Equipment: PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL
Price Paid / Price New: $199/$249
Year Manufactured: 2011
Specifications:
  • 2 inputs and 2 outputs (through USB).
  • 2 Amplified/Combined XLR balanced and Hiz Ό" TS unbalanced.
  • 2 Analog Output Ό" TRS balanced (Mono).
  • 1 Headphone Ό" TRS (Stereo).
  • Midi in/out.
  • USB 2.0 interface/USB powered.
  • 24bit 96kHz sampling rate.
  • Direct monitoring.
  • Metal chassis.

Sound: 4/5.
The preamp for the microphone is +65dB, for the instrument input it is +50 dB. You get a good signal from the microphone and it is possible to get a good sound from plugging a guitar direct into the box. A maximum of 96 kHz sampling rate.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
PreSonus have made the interface with a metal chassis. The knobs are made out of metal and have a good feel when turning them.

Usefullness: 4/5.
It does not have line level inputs.

Overall Value: 4/5.
It was worth the price I paid, $199.

In this jungle there are a lot of interfaces within the price range $150 to $250.

From the store I made the purchase I asked for a comparison with the Tascam US144 mkII, the same price and they had that in stock, I got a blank "No they are not comparable.". Sales talk perhaps, but there was no apparent reason for me to believe that there would be any difference for them concerning what I would end up buying.

The interface does not have as many features as the Tascam product, I think that those included are well made (+65 db mic preamp spec). There are reverb/delay vsl effects that runs on the interface instead of running them through the DAW, saving a few ms of latency when monitoring and recording.

The installation was a painless experience for me on Windows 7 64bit. I have yet to open the included CD's as I opted to download the drivers from the PreSonus website, with that also came an upgrade for the interface. The software included are PreSonus VSL Control/Monitor and Studio One Artist. Up to this point the interface has worked well with Cubase 4 LE and REAPER.

With 256 kb buffer I get 9+9ms latency, reported from the ASIO driver.

Comparing with my former interface to record the guitar, a Digitech RP500, I get a sound that I much more pleased with. The setup I use is that I plug the output from the RP500 to the Audiobox instrument input. The RP500 also uses a USB connection, to make it clear that the comparison is not made from using an instrument level output into a line level input on a sound card.

The lack of line inputs feels like a drawback.

erephus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 22, 2012

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Title of Instrument Example: Schecter Omen 8 String
Price Paid / Price New: Example: $400/$569 (Although i cant actually FIND it for the new price, it seems like everyone is selling it for 400)
Year Manufactured: Example: 2011
Specs: Rosewood fretboard, Bolt on Maple Neck REALLY THIN, 24 Jumbo frets, Schecter Custom-8 bridge hardtail, Schecter Diamond Plus Omen 8 pickups (more on these later)

Sound: 4/5: The "proper" sound of an 8 string guitar has yet to be determined i think, but i bought this primarily to try it out with some Djent'y type tones and to try some jazz stuff with it. It sounds great when you take the time to dial in your amp to a different setting then what you use with a 6 string. Esepcially on particularly wet settings, you WILL need to adjust it just will sound too muddy. That said, the Omen is Schecter's affordable range and while that price tag is one of the GREAT things about the instrument allowing players who want to try 8 string playing an entry level instrument that really leaves little to be desired. Probably the ONLY issue with it however is the stock pickups. While not dreadful, they can be muddy especially on high gain settings on the B and E (in standard eight string tuning, strings 7 and 6) range. The highs are nice and clear and the LOWEST of the lows is good but the mids leave a lot to be desired. After i owned the guitar for a few months i replaced these pickups with Dimarzio's DActivator 8 string pickups and the problem is completely fixed. If you buy it and decide you really like 8 string playing, this guitar leaves you with 100 dollars between you and a top of the line 8 string shred machine.

Instrument Quality: 5/5: IF you get it in the Walnut satin finish like i did, it comes with gunmetal hardware and a finish that makes it look just like the Jeff Loomis signature edition. It also comes in white and black, but the hardware on those is chromed out and it makes the whole thing look a bit cheap i think. All of my other electric guitars are Ibanez's so i was worried i wouldn't like this but the quality is great, it feels very well put together and all the parts feel like quality. Rare especially at this price range.

Playbility: 4/5. Great neck, fast and thin D shape very well suited to learning 8 string playing. The size of the neck can take some getting used too especially if you have never played an 8 string before. At 24 frets the upper fret 23-24 access is kinda limited just because of the design of the neck joint but the scale length is great for this type of guitar and the body is nice and light for an 8 string.

Overall Value: 5/5 8 string's of any sort of quality are difficult to get into for under 700 dollars, this guitar leaves you with a still heavy wallet and a great starting 8 string that wont make you feel limited by it. like i said change the pickups to any of the major models (it comes with passive's installed so if you put in active pickups it will require a bit more work) but for 100-200 dollars that you can spend later if you liked it you have a top-tier, nice looking & feeling 8 string to play with

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 15, 2012

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Title of Equipment: Akai MPD18 Pad Controller
Price Paid / Price New: $88 / $100
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs Equipment's Specifications: 16 pressure sensitive MPC pads, 1 assignable fader, note repeat(!), USB powered
Sound: N/A

The MPD18 is Akai's smallest USB pad controller in the MPD, Professional line.

Equipment Quality: 2/5. I obviously didn't expect too much from a $100 controller but the lack of aluminum frame and weight is one of the biggest detriments to its playability. There are a lot of people online complaining about the feel of the pads but to me it's the plastic body absorbing a lot of the pressure that feels bad. The fader is nice and smooth and feels as sturdy as any of the other faders on current MIDI controllers.

Usefullness: 3/5. Once you get used to the feel it's really easy to use. It worked with Ableton Live's Drum Rack right away but at the expense of the Live Impulse not working. After re-configuring the pads everything fell into place. The note repeat function is fantastic and I now see why everyone was so excited about it. The biggest setback for me is the lack of MIDI out and input for a secondary foot or pad controller.

Overall Value: 3/5. For $100 it's definitely worth it, especially for someone who's looking for something to put alongside a keyboard controller to save desk space. I don't think I'd be too comfortable bringing it on the road though as it does feel a little too light for my tastes. Also, due to the plastic case it isn't as consistent as I would like my live equipment to be.

I bought the MPD18 while I wait for the MPD32 to come in as I wanted to get a chance to try out the pads. While I am not completely happy with the feel of the MPD18 it has definitely sold me on the MPD32 which does have an aluminum frame. I will be adding the fat pad mod with the included cork spacers once it comes in and I'll be sure to post a more in depth review at that time.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Title of Equipment Example: Digitech RP 500
Price Paid / Price New: Example: 179.00/200.00
Year Manufactured: Example: 2008
Specs: A multi effects pedal for guitar primarily That features amp modeling and TONS of stompbox/expression pedal effects. (53 Amps, 22 Cabs, 72 Effects). It comes preloaded with 100 factory presets with room for 100 MORE user presets, bringing to a total off 200 on board presets. The input is a standard 1/4 jack and its outputs are 1/4 inch out (Stereo and mono) headphones, XLR stereo (ground and lift) and USB for ASIO control. It can be used to control programs such as Guitar Rig 3. It has switches for true bypass, tap, and preset advance up and down as well as a click on/off expression pedal. It also has a looper for phrase recording

Editing Presets is very easy, the display is easy enough to figure out and the multiple endless knobs make tweaking your tone very easy

Sound (or applicable): 4/5: The Amps and effects sound very good and are for the most part faithful reproductions of their counterparts, even the acoustic amp's don't color the sound of your guitar much more than they should. However, play with it enough and especially on some of the cleaner settings you can tell that is not TRULY organic.

Equipment Quality: Example 5/5: Switches feel great and i have gigged with this in front of my amp and used it in my apartment when a Full stack H&K Tube amp is just not appropriate and it is still in one piece

Usefulness: Example 5/5: Great additional piece of gear for people that need to practice/record in a situation were they cant bring their full rig. It is also a fantastic practice tool and lets you experiment with tons of tones at a low price.

Overall Value: Example 5/5: Absolutely worth the price, are there better tools for this purpose? sure, it's no AX-FX but its also about 1/15th the price of some of the higher end stuff and you get a lot out of this pedal

Pictures:

NightGoat
Nov 22, 2004
no
I'm interested in the Gretsch Honey Dipper resonator. It's new, so there aren't many reviews. Has anyone who's played one, or have some information on them beyond the review blurbs from the retail sites?

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

Besson BE2051 Prestige Euphonium
7000/6400
Specs:
-4 valve compensating euphonium
-Whammy bar to adjust tuning on the fly
-Silver plating

Playability:5/5. The whammy bar is quite possibly the best thing ever for notes that tend sharp (G, anything above E-flat usually), and it makes this one of the greatest instruments I have ever played. The notes all feel like they "slot" correctly, and the response is quite easy and immediate

Sound: 5/5 even with the included mouthpiece, the instrument has a beautiful and full sound. Definitely not piercing by default, and the slightly smaller bell makes this a great solo or wind ensemble instrument.

Equipment Quality: 5/5 it's loving besson, what do you expect?

Usefullness: 5/5 much needed improvement over my prior Euph, and it provides all of the functions you could want out of one.

Overall Value: 5/5 although the pricetag is quite steep, this is one of the top (if not the top) euphonium currently on the market. Besson continues to make some of the best instruments in the brass world, and this thing is no exception

Swagulous
May 22, 2013

by Baldo di Gregorio
MV-8800 with VGA-out and 8 additional outputs (it's an instrument, and a piece of equipment!)

Price Paid / Price New:
I didn't pay anything. I traded a computer for it! / Retail(ed) $2000 w/ the vga and 8 out options. I say retailed because I'm not sure they make it still.

Year Manufactured:
2007 to ?

Specs:
-Multitrack recording, mixing, mastering, general DAW capabilites, CD and DVD burning
-Integration of drum machine-style pattern recording and DAW-style linear recording
-Realtime control of audio pitch and time, groove quantize, and pattern/song arrangements — "great for both studio and stage"
-VGA Output for connecting to a monitor - it operates an FL Studio-type interface. You need a PS/2 mouse to use the VGA out option.
-Roland instrument and effects models onboard, including TR-808, TR-909, SRV reverb, SDD-320 Chorus, SBF-325 Flanger, Boss BF-2 and HF-2, and RE-201 Space Echo
-Three MIDI ports (IN x 1, OUT x 2) for connecting external MIDI devices
-Color LCD with icon-oriented interface (Resolution 480 TPQN)
-Wave Memory (RAM) DIMM: 1 slot (168 pins, PC100 CL = 2 or PC133 CL = 3, 3.3 V, 128 M bytes, 256 M bytes, 512 M bytes), 128 M bytes (standard), Expandable up to 512 M bytes (replacement to 512 M bytes DIMM is required.)
-Maximum Sampling Time with 128 M bytes DIMM (standard) mono: 24 min. approx. (stereo: 12 min. approx.) / with 512 M bytes DIMM (expanded) mono: 100 min. approx. (stereo: 50 min. approx.)
-16 pressure/velocity sensitive drum pads
-Parts 16 (Instruments) + 9 (Audio Tracks) + 1 (Audio Phrases)
-a bunch of other really cool features that I go on to describe in the review

Ease of Use:
It has a pretty high learning curve compared to the MPC, however, it is WORTH IT! The amount of features compared to the MPC make this beast a great drum machine that is often overlooked.
7/10

Sound:
It's a drum machine/sampler, and it has what I'd say is the best mix between a new age and classic sound as you can get.
9/10

Usefulness:
From beat production to recording, this beast WILL leave you satisfied. As I said, the learning curve is pretty drat high, but after you get over the intial hump, don't be surprised
when you find yourself unable to stop using it for any beat production/recording.
9.5/10

Overall Rating:
I'd say a solid 8/10. It's the best drum machine/sampler I've owned, and I've had everything from machines to MPCs to MPKs to offbrand BS.

My take:
When I first got the MV8800, I traded a crappy desktop for it to some guy off craigslist and figured I'd be using it all the time. Boy, was I wrong... at first!
After about 1 month of owning it, the initial hype wore off and I got bored. However, after watching some youtube videos on it, my hype was quickly revived. I discovered there were so many unique features compared
to the MPC that would make this thing an incredible beast if I learned how to use them.
Some features that I decided made the cut of the "Must Learn/Must Know About" list:
-Importing samples from dvds (yes, not just CDs, DVDs!)
-Analog Synth Modeler for most Basses and a couple synths - useful for making dubstep wobbles, there's even a tutorial for it on youtube
-Mapping anything, even realtime fx to the knobs and faders
-Layering more than the sample mixtable allows using this ridiculous method the guy WaxDat8800 invented on youtube
-Patch Jacker (look it up, it's hard to explain)
-Overlocking
-Real time quantizing

Yeah, but long story short, you should all go buy one 'cause it's the best thing ever made.

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl
So after two years of owning it, playing it, and gigging with it I'm here to revise my review of Tama's (previous) flagship drumkit, the Starclassic Bubinga.

Tama Starclassic Bubinga 5 Piece Shell Pack
Price Paid / Price New: $2400/~$3000
It should should be noted that the 5 piece pack is a little harder to find these days, and as such has gone up in price. However the 4 piece has gone down in price due to the new Star series.
Specs:
Rack Sizes: 10"x8" 12"x9"
Floor Sizes: 14"x12" 16"x14"
Kick Size: 22"x20"
Hoops: Die-cast
Sound: Low/Dark/Punchy
Finish: Red Mahogany Burst
Sound: 3.5~4/5 (for the average drummer)
This is where I'm gonna have to diverge with my past self, while I love (and I mean LOVE) the sound of my Starclassic Bubinga's, I have to admit that they are an extremely distinct sounding set of drums. The combination of the extremely dense wood, the (still relative) thinness of the shells, the lack of any kind of reinforcing hoops, and Tama's massive die-cast hoops, all contribute to the sound of these shells. When you buy one of these kits, you are buying ultra-low-end aggressive tone with plenty of bite and character. You're also buying a lot more punch then you're average kit. While the toms aren't dead, with low sustain, by default it is very easy to get them there. Similar to a Pearl Reference, this kit was predominately designed to fit the needs of the modern rock player (which I am really not), and the modern heavy hitter (which I am). While it isn't impossible to get a different sound (say hip-hop, or DnB) it is much harder than getting that punchy, ultra-articulate, sound they were designed to get. If you want these drums to have life and sustain, you're head selection is fairly limited. Pinstripes will dry them out to quick. Coated heads will dry them out as well. You're basically stuck with clear emperors or ambassadors if you want a livelier sound. It should also be noted that if you want a less punchy sound, you're gonna need to beat jacks off these drums. Like a heavy cymbal, they require high energy activation to ring out in full. Even with those heads there are just a lot of sounds this hell pack simply can't get to well. If you're shooting for a more mid toned classic rock sound, you're gonna end up with some super plastic sounding toms. The toms and bass drum are also pitched far to low if you are looking to play bop, even with special jazz heads. However, the sounds that this kit does do well, it does extremely well. I won't call it the best metal/punk kit on the market, because I don't really play those styles much anymore, I will go on record saying this is probably the best hip-hop kit on the market. If you're looking for a kit to sound like an 808 or 909, but is still obviously acoustic, than this kit fills that bill. With the right heads, and careful tuning, the toms have that ultra-low and resonant tone that only drum machines generally can provide. The kick drum is also crazy, put clear emperor on the batter, and a clear ambassador on the front, tune it a little higher than the average bass drum, and use a larger hard-felt beater and you have a recipe for one of the boomiest kicks on the market. Stomp the pedal and play off the head, and the fundamental will ring out for eons. You can even still get a punchy sound by burring the beater into the head. You can have all of the tone possibilities of a super tight jazz bass drum, just pitched super low. Tune it a little higher and you can get one of the best Bonham sounds I've been able to get out of a 22". To make a long story short, if I haven't listed a sound you're going for, then the truth is that this kit doesn't do it any better than other kits on the market, and a lot of the time it actually does it worse. I have heard a lot of these kits live that just don't sound very good. I'd recommend a USA Custom, or a Collector's Series if you're looking for that traditional drum sound. However if you are in this kits demographic, and take the time to really one down your setup, you can have one of the best and most distinct sounding kits on the market. Just make sure you can tune really, REALLY, well if you don't want punch. This is a kit you should probably play before you buy.

Instrument Quality: 5/5
There is a very good reason Tama has a reputation for build quality. Every spec on this kit is well thought out, and well executed. The lugs, the hoops, the tension rods, and yes the build of the shell itself are all top notch. These drums will stay in tune for months at a time, and I usually don't have to touch them up more than once before a new head comes along. The mounts, and legs, allow the drum to resonate to its maximum capacity. Also if you upgrade this from just a shell pack you get hands down the best hardware in the industry. Tama's stands might as well be made out of boulders because once you place them somewhere they aren't moving, ever. They also make by far the most secure, fully adjustable, tom arm on the market. Just like the stands, once you tighten that wing nut you're toms aren't going anywhere until you take them off the stand. Nothing on this kit will ever break, ever, unless you drop it off of a roof, or take a sledge-hammer to it.

Overall Value:3/5 or 4.5/5 (depends on style)
This is a kit that will either fit your style, or it wont. As such your mileage will vary from mine. To compound this, there aren't many videos online that give a good all around perspective on the kit. My only advice is to try before you buy if you can find a place to try. While I would say that this is one of the definitive kits on the market, it isn't the definitive kit.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to buy my wife a keyboard. She played a lot of piano back in the day, but we don't have the space (nor money) for a real one. So I want to get something that wont break the bank, but will give her a decent quality musical experience, so velocity sensitive keys are a must, and weighted keys would be nice as well. I mess around a little with Ableton, too, so if it could interact with that it would be a decent plus. The full range of keys would be awesome, but 60ish would probably be fine, or I guess even half of them assuming its flexible enough to play the sorts of pieces she would enjoy. I can probably spend up to $400, though a little more would be possible, though less is preferable as well since we've got new child expenses that are likely to crop up. Also, with regard to the new child, lead paint/wash your hands after playing keyboards are a no-go. Is there actually anything decent I could get, or am I looking for too much for my price range? My wife's not a super serious musician, though she does have skills, so I'm not looking for professional level performance, just an enjoyable experience.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Shovelmint posted:

I'm looking to buy my wife a keyboard. She played a lot of piano back in the day, but we don't have the space (nor money) for a real one. So I want to get something that wont break the bank, but will give her a decent quality musical experience, so velocity sensitive keys are a must, and weighted keys would be nice as well. I mess around a little with Ableton, too, so if it could interact with that it would be a decent plus. The full range of keys would be awesome, but 60ish would probably be fine, or I guess even half of them assuming its flexible enough to play the sorts of pieces she would enjoy. I can probably spend up to $400, though a little more would be possible, though less is preferable as well since we've got new child expenses that are likely to crop up. Also, with regard to the new child, lead paint/wash your hands after playing keyboards are a no-go. Is there actually anything decent I could get, or am I looking for too much for my price range? My wife's not a super serious musician, though she does have skills, so I'm not looking for professional level performance, just an enjoyable experience.

If your wife played piano, probably look for something with 88 weighted keys as that will be familiar to her and will likely encourage her to play more over something with less keys and synth-type action. Anything in the Yamaha P line-up or the Casio Privia series would probably work out great. I believe some (or most) of the Privia models have USB such that you could use it as a controller for something like Ableton. Futhermore, most any digital piano would have MIDI which you could also easily get into a computer via an audio interface or a $30ish MIDI to USB converter.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 10 classical guitar

Price Paid / Price New: ~$130/$270
Year Manufactured: ?
Specs:

- Nylon string classical
- Spruce top
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Ebony neck
- Walnut back and sides
- Traditional Spanish-style construction (no truss rod)
- Made in China according to the exacting specifications that Mr. Rodriguez shouted into a speakerphone from Spain.

Absolutely beautiful sounding, loud, clear, and warm. Not muddy, well balanced between bass and treble. No intonation problems, no fret buzz.

Instrument Quality: 2/5
This is where the Caballero 10 falls short - I went through two of these guitars and have ended up returning both. The first one came from the factory with a cracked fretboard. The second one had an improperly glued bridge that was starting to lift.

The finish is nothing special (thick polyurethane), the tuners are acceptable. It has a bone nut and saddle, which is nice; the nut was completely loose, which is not unusual in classical guitars, but it was actually so loose that it almost fell off when I was changing strings. Classical nuts don't have to be glued in, but they should be fitted tightly enough that they don't come out on their own (lol).

Playability: 2/5, 5/5
The one with the cracked fretboard had extremely high action but was basically still playable. The one with the lifting bridge had sublimely perfect medium-low action.

Overall Value: 2/5
I got this guitar on sale for about $130, and I think that's about all I would pay for it. It retails for close to $300, which is probably too much. It's a nice sounding, playable guitar, but if I buy a new guitar I want something with few or no problems. Manuel Rodriguez has many guitars in the student/entry level price range, and from what I've read they almost all sound great, but they seem to have serious quality issues.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Title of Instrument: Xaviere XV-910
Price Paid / Price New: Example: ~$300
Year Manufactured: Example: N/A
Specs: Instrument's Specifications - I'm not very good with naming the pieces on a guitar, but what I can tell you is that it's got surprisingly easy neck for a budget hollow-body and the P90's it comes with sound pretty good to my ears. I'm sure there's better out there but it's pretty solid.

Sound: 4/5 Considering the money I paid, it sounds pretty good. The combination of it being a hollowbody with the P90's it comes with means it's got a nice balance of warm mids and lows. However, I feel like it's a bit lacking as far as the higher notes go, but that may be partially due to the fact I may need to trim down that nut a tad.

Instrument Quality: 3/5. Not bad, not great, just exactly what you expect from a guitar at this price. It's not falling apart and everything seems to fit like it's supposed to, not obvious defects other than those induced by sitting on the show floor of the Sam Ash I picked it up from. It feels strong rather than flimsy, so there's that.

Playbility: 4/5. I had never played a hollow body when I picked this up. I compared this to similarly priced Fenders, and this was (relatively) quick playing compared to those. You won't be Eddie Van Halen on this thing, to be sure, but it's easy to play and low stress on the fingers, which is great, especially considering the price.

Overall Value: 4/5. I think it's a pretty solid guitar, and I'd buy it again if I had a choice. It sounds good for the money, it's somewhat tough, looks easy to modify if I so choose, and it looks good. It's surprisingly versatile; it'll slip from blues into metal before you even know what hit you.

Title of Equipment Example: Ampeg G-12 Electric Guitar Amp

Price Paid / Price New: Example: FREE
Year Manufactured: Example: 1967-1970, I think.
Specs Equipment's Specifications. Old school vacuum tubes, not well grounded (ask how I know) big, BIG sound. Hardwired reverb/tremolo pedal, external power outlet. This one was modified by someone back in the 70's, as it was given a tweeter and a "headphone" jack that doesn't seem to work any longer.

Sound (or applicable): 5/5. Considering the advanced age of this amp and the fact that it's running off of tubes that are god knows how old, it sounds beautiful as it shakes my windows and pisses off the neighbors. Being as old as it is, the only onboard effects are a reverb and a tremolo which, at the moment, don't work, though I've seen a video of this amp online and it seems that it is likewise of high quality. It has two channels, and a "normal" and a "bright" setting for each one. You can tell the difference between each of these quite easily, and the bright setting is just perfect. There are no mid-rand control knobs for this amp, but I don't think you'll ever miss them. It also sounds like a MONSTER with distortion; I am using a RAT distortion pedal and it sounds full bodied and warm on this amp. When I crank it up the bass response is excellent for some quick palm muted riffs. Great all around.

Equipment Quality: Example 3/5. Mine is a bit beat up and was road-modified by some traveling guitarist in the distant past; it has a hole drilled in the side for an external speaker jack that kinda-sorta works and a tweeter that someone screwed into the front of the amp long ago. This amp has a bad tube, and on at least two occasions completely electrified everything attached to it, including my guitar. But, old age aside, I think that if you can get one in good shape that it should be a well put together and solid amp.

Usefulness
Overall Value: 5/5. Well... I mean, it was free... My neighbor just up and handed it to me, saying that she didn't have room for it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Borderview posted:

If your wife played piano, probably look for something with 88 weighted keys as that will be familiar to her and will likely encourage her to play more over something with less keys and synth-type action. Anything in the Yamaha P line-up or the Casio Privia series would probably work out great. I believe some (or most) of the Privia models have USB such that you could use it as a controller for something like Ableton. Futhermore, most any digital piano would have MIDI which you could also easily get into a computer via an audio interface or a $30ish MIDI to USB converter.

Do the entry-level Yamaha P or Casio Privia keyboards have decent speakers? And if not, can they be plugged into a guitar amp or is that just foolish hoping on my part?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

La Patrie Etude Classical Guitar

Price Paid / Price New: $400/$400
Specs:

- Nylon string classical
- Cedar top
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Mahogany neck
- Cherry (!) back and sides
- Truss rod
- Kind of a very slight crossover - the neck is a little thinner and narrower at the nut than most classical guitars
- Light finish that probably isn't French polish but is neither thick nor glossy
- Made in Canada :canada:

Sound: 3.5/5
This is a nice-sounding guitar. It has the sweetness and softness of cedar without being muddy, the intonation is good, and it generally sounds very mellow and classical. It is, unfortunately, very quiet.

Instrument Quality: 4.5 or 5/5
The Etude is a beautifully made guitar - the finish feels good under the hand and showcases the beauty of the wood, everything is smooth and well turned out, there are no manufacturing flaws that I could find. The rosette is absolutely beautiful and features little butterflies. Everything is understated and elegant. La Patrie claims that the cedar in the top comes from 700 year old relic trees, which is cool if it's true.

The tuning machine are nice looking but nothing special, and mine have gotten a little tight in just a few months of ownership. The nut and saddle are Tusq synthetic and are well-fitted to the instrument. Frets are nicely finished, everything is nice and straight.

The Etude is not exactly a traditional classical guitar - it has a truss rod, and compared to a Spanish-style classical or Flamenco guitar it feels very heavy. You can tell that the instrument is thickly braced, which probably explains the low volume. It gains, I'm sure, in durability, but it loses in lightness and resonance.

Playability: 5/5
Very easy to play; nice action right out of the box with no changes. The neck is extremely comfortable and the silky finish offers the right balance of smoothness and grip. The truss rod helps slim down the neck from the usual large dimensions of traditional classical guitars.

$400 isn't much for a North American made instrument, and this is obviously a very beautifully made guitar. I wish they had used a more traditional method to build this - its heaviness makes it compare unfavorably to true Spanish style guitars. But judged on its own merits this is a terrific nylon-string guitar, and would be absolutely ideal for someone who wants to switch over from steel-string to classical.

DR Nylon Guitar Strings

Overall: 2/5

These were pretty bad. The bass strings, like most nylon bass strings, were fine, but the trebles had a nasty, glassy, shrill, ringing sound to them. They kept their weird metallic tone through more than a month of daily playing. They stayed in tune and intonated beautifully but they never stopped sounding terrible. Maybe a very aggressive Flamenco player could find a cool use for these; they were a terrible mismatch for a cedar top classical guitar.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Shure PSM-200 Wireless In-Ear Monitor System
Price: $443 new from Guitar Center ($499 Regular Price)

Specs

2 XLR/TRS inputs on front
2 XLR/TRS through on rear
Gain control for each input
8 Channel
Wired/Wireless receiver modes
Mono receiver output
Includes Shure SE215 Earbuds
Includes rack mount ears for transmitter
includes T/S instrument cable

Sound 4/5

The sound quality is solid, punchy, not distorted. The buds come with a variety of tips and make easy fitting a breeze.
Good isolation but without the feeling of being disconnected from ambient sound.
The earbuds EASILY outstrip the sound quality of the unit itself, I've been using them with my iPod as well.
Not being able to have a separate mix in each ear is a little bit of a downer, but for the price I really can't complain.

Quality 4/5

The receiver is plastic, which might or might not be a big issue, it feels ok, but compared to my Line6 instrument receiver which is made out of metal, it feels fairly flimsy in comparison.
The cable is utterly worthless. T/S instead of TRS, plastic connector housings. I pulled it from the package, snipped the ends off and tossed the cable into my 'emergency cable repair' box and binned the connectors.

Playability 5/5

I've used it for practice in my studio for the past couple of days and will be using it at my gig this weekend.
I already can't imagine going back to a traditional stage monitor EVER again.
I'm actually considering trading this one back in or selling it and going ahead and moving up to one of the more advanced units (the idea of having a separate mix in each ear is very appealing).

Overall Value - 5/5

A complete Wireless IEM system for $500? Yeah, total value that I couldn't appreciate until I TRIED it out and experienced it myself.
Definite value for the money, one that, at this price point, I can't really find any faults with.
[/quote]

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

La Bella Light Tension Flamenco Strings

Price Paid: $7.50
Specs:

- Nylon strings, tie end
- Wrapped bass, black nylon trebles

Sound: 4.5/5
These strings played in very quickly and sounded great - very loud and punchy, on the cold end of the spectrum but not shrill. Not the most resonant - I guess this is what makes them flamenco instead of classical, but frankly there really isn't much difference. I know some nylon-string guitar players like a very smooth blend between the wrapped bass and the plain nylon trebles - this set has a small but noticeable difference between the sound of the two different kinds of strings.

Quality: 3/5
The bass strings on this set did not last - about a month of moderate playing (like two hours a day) and they were kind of rubbery and dull. The treble strings still sounded just fine.

The black treble strings are smooth but not slippery and seem to be a little smaller diameter than standard nylon strings - very nice. The bass strings are fine, nothing unusual about them.

These are nice strings, especially if you want black trebles to zazz up your flamenco guitar. Not spectacular, but a good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Francisco Navarro Flamenco negra guitar (student model)

Price Paid / Price New: $1000/$1000
Year Manufactured: recent

Specs:

- Nylon string flamenco
- Spruce top
- Cocobolo fingerboard
- Rosewood back and sides (hence the "negra")
- Ebony peg tuners (not shown in the picture above)
- Luthier made in Mexico

There is some debate about whether the flamenco negra (which trades traditional flamenco cypress construction for traditional classical rosewood) really has a purpose. The idea with flamenco negra is that you get extra bass and sustain from the rosewood back and sides, yielding an instrument with the punch and playability of the flamenco guitar and the tonal richness of the classical.

I personally chose a flamenco negra because I already have a cypress flamenco guitar (the Yamaha CGSF171, which is really superb for the price) and because the rosewood looks beautiful. The sound is indeed superb, though it's definitely more flamenco than classical.

Instrument Quality: 5/5
Beautifully made, with a few finish flaws (little chips in the lacquer, and a ripple in one of the golpeadores). Neck is nice and straight; the guitar also smells really good. Rosewood back and sides are beautiful and rich looking, the cocobolo fretboard has a subtle marbling which is really gorgeous up close, and all the frets are nice and level and well-finished. A tiny bit heavier than a cypress-body flamenco guitar, it's still very light.

My particular guitar comes with ebony pegs instead of tuning machines. The pegs work pretty much like they do in a violin - they hold just by friction. They make tuning a little more difficult and changing strings a little easier. Pegs are super traditional for flamenco guitars (because traditional flamenco guitars were cheap - that's also why they used cypress instead of rosewood). In theory the pegs should make the guitar more resonant because there's more wood-on-wood contact, but even internet flamenco obsessives don't really believe this.

Beautifully playable right out of the box.

Overall Value: 4.5/5
Definitely worth it; I don't know if it's three times better than an inexpensive Yamaha flamenco guitar, but I absolutely love it.

Galli Genius light tension classical nylon strings

Overall: 3/5
Delightfully soft under the left hand, sounded great, though very quiet. Bass strings wore badly after about three weeks of frequent playing.