Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Ibanez SRX700
Price Paid / Price New: £500 new
Year Manufactured: 2002 (not sure)
Specs:

Body

Ash coated in a thick layer of polyurethane with walnut strips.

Neck

Neck-thru, maple with walnut stripes and a rosewood fretboard. 24 medium frets.

Hardware

Accucast B205 Bridge, allows two different stringing configurations. Tuners are standard Ibanez fair. All the hardware comes in a dark chromed colour that is prone to getting dirty but polishes up fine.

Electronics

PFR-AL5N Neck PU
PFR-AL5B Bridge PU
EQB-IIDX 2-Band

Basically big honking pickups and a simple built in EQ with treble cut/boost and bass cut/boost as well as the standard volume and pick up blending.

Sound: 4/5

The sound of the SRX700 is somewhat maligned as not having the "growl" of a Fender Jbass. It has more of a funky 70's sound when not pushed, and when you start sawing into it you'll get a metal style "click" sound. With some experimentation you can probably get the tone you want quite easily.

This bass was targeted at fans of alternative music, particularly numetal, so you if you enjoy slapping you can get a sound similar to Mudvayne/Sikth (not strictly Numetal but you get the idea) and it has a nice smooth funky sound, or you can turn up the middle and have a tone similar to most Opeth slow songs. It's also *very* loud.

Instrument Quality: 3.5/5

Some messy fretwork, the binding at the front of the neck is pretty neat, usual Ibanez quality. Everything polishes up nice and the coating is really thick and hard. For a mass produced instrument everything is very good and I'd expect it to outlast me without any failure.

Playbility: 4/5

This bass is big, heavy, and has a nice thin neck. It's pretty easy to slap when set up properly, and the pickups have handy little thumb rests on them. The problem is that the front thumb rest is pretty much useless as the pickup is only about a centimetre away from the bridge. It's stable on a padded leather strap and if you're not a large mammal type person you'll want it on one. A good strap is recommended as it'll easily eat away at the cheap leather kind. Personally I like a nice heavy plank of an instrument.

Overall Value: 5/5

A cheap and cheerful neckthru bass. The hardware is well machined and it's only let down by a few rough edges. If you are looking for a jazz bass style sound you'll be disapointed, but if you like playing some funky stuff along with your metal it's pretty great. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it has been great, plus the natural finish looks absolutely gorgeous. Far cheaper than it looks and sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU