Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danny Carnage
Jan 19, 2007

Holy shit is that a horse on the decks?
Title of Equipment: Novation Nocturn (MIDI controller)

Price New: £67.99

Year Manufactured: 2008

Specs:

The Nocturn has 8 assignable endless rotary encoders (touch sensitive), 8 assignable buttons, an assignable cross fader (touch sensitive) and a few additional buttons that access the main features. Power is supplied via USB. The Nocturn is designed to work with Novation's Automap software, which is included on the driver CD.

Equipment Quality: 4/5

For such an inexpensive unit it feels well built, although the rotary encoders don't feel as solid as those used on more expensive hardware.

Usefullness: 5/5

The Automap software automatically maps (ahem...) instrument/FX/mixer parameters to the hardware. Pressing the 'view' button on the hardware brings up a transparent overlay on the screen which displays the current controller map. While the overlay is visible, pressing 'inst' or 'fx' on the hardware will show a list of every plugin of that type currently active in your project. The list is arranged so every plugin corresponds to one of the rotary encoders. Tap the encoder corresponding the the plugin you wish to control and its parameters will be mapped to the hardware. When more than 8 plugins are active you can scroll through them in the list view using 2 arrow buttons on the hardware.

If the Automap software hasn't assigned the parameters the way you'd like it to it's very simple to alter assignments: press the 'learn' button on the hardware, click on a control in your host software then tap the encoder/button you wish to assign it to.

If you're anything like me (i.e. very lazy when it comes to automation) this piece of kit is a godsend. It makes adjusting parameters/editing automation quick and easy.

Overall Value: 5/5

If I had to sell my first-born to own this piece of kit we would be living in a terrible world indeed. But it would almost be worth it. When you consider the low retail price it's an absolute must-have for anyone doing computer recording/composing/DJing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU