Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Title of Equipment: Akai MPD18 Pad Controller
Price Paid / Price New: $88 / $100
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs Equipment's Specifications: 16 pressure sensitive MPC pads, 1 assignable fader, note repeat(!), USB powered
Sound: N/A

The MPD18 is Akai's smallest USB pad controller in the MPD, Professional line.

Equipment Quality: 2/5. I obviously didn't expect too much from a $100 controller but the lack of aluminum frame and weight is one of the biggest detriments to its playability. There are a lot of people online complaining about the feel of the pads but to me it's the plastic body absorbing a lot of the pressure that feels bad. The fader is nice and smooth and feels as sturdy as any of the other faders on current MIDI controllers.

Usefullness: 3/5. Once you get used to the feel it's really easy to use. It worked with Ableton Live's Drum Rack right away but at the expense of the Live Impulse not working. After re-configuring the pads everything fell into place. The note repeat function is fantastic and I now see why everyone was so excited about it. The biggest setback for me is the lack of MIDI out and input for a secondary foot or pad controller.

Overall Value: 3/5. For $100 it's definitely worth it, especially for someone who's looking for something to put alongside a keyboard controller to save desk space. I don't think I'd be too comfortable bringing it on the road though as it does feel a little too light for my tastes. Also, due to the plastic case it isn't as consistent as I would like my live equipment to be.

I bought the MPD18 while I wait for the MPD32 to come in as I wanted to get a chance to try out the pads. While I am not completely happy with the feel of the MPD18 it has definitely sold me on the MPD32 which does have an aluminum frame. I will be adding the fat pad mod with the included cork spacers once it comes in and I'll be sure to post a more in depth review at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU