Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddamn rules.
Ovation Multi Soundhole Celebrity CC48
Price Paid / Price New: Example: $429/429
Year Manufactured: Example: 2009
Specs:
6 String Acoustic / Electric
Body Type: Mid-Depth Cutaway
Top: Solid Spruce
Bracing: Modified Quintad
Scale Length: 25 1/4"
Fretboard: Rosewood
Fret Inlay: Abalone Snow Flake
Bridge: Walnut
Rosette: Exotic Hardwood
Pickup: Ovation High Output
Nutwidth: 1 11/16"
Machines: Gold w/Gold Buttons

Sound: 4/5, especially for the price I paid. Despite the shallow bowl, even the bass end of the sound feels really full. I'm extremely happy, especially because I'm coming off a year playing a 35 year old Stella Harmony. I have yet to try it plugged in, but unplugged I'm really impressed...I'm certainly not struggling to pull an even, rich tone. I wish I had had the budget for a mid-depth or deeper bowl, but after playing this guitar for two months or so I'm not itching to get my hands on something higher end.

Instrument Quality: 4/5. Factory made and all but nothing feels cheap. Stays in tune very well (I guess that's a given, since it's not even all wood), the finish looks great, and the instrument feels like it can take a whack without falling to pieces, not that I'm planning on abusing it (see edit). The intonation is also perfect, which shouldn't be remarkable but on my first guitar the 12th fret was 1.5 steps above the 12th fret harmonic.

Playbility: 5/5. Super easy action, which was a major selling point for me. I love being able to play barre chords all the way up at the 15th fret without much trouble, I can play for hours and hours without feeling like my fingers are going to fall off, just really easy to play. Hammer ons and pull offs aren't the easiest, but I think that's more due to my playing unplugged and with a relatively heavy string gauge (.12 D'Addario flat tops, I think they work well with the kind of sound you get from an Ovation) than a flaw with the instrument. I'll update when I finally try it plugged in.

Overall Value: 5/5. 100% worth the money. Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on a $4000 guitar, but on a college student's budget...I definitely think it sounds like a more expensive instrument, and I'd recommend trying an Ovation to anyone looking for an acoustic electric.

I will say they aren't for everyone, though. Some people seem to have problems holding them in their laps? For what it's worth I tend to mostly play sitting, and I have no problem (being a thinner than the average goon, taller than the average girl female). I think that would be more of a concern for people with bellies?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Edit: I guess I'll downgrade quality to a 4/5 because a frat brother sat on my guitar and cracked the top of it...a 5/5 wouldn't crack under pressure!

Danger Jane fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU