Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainKirkCameron
Jan 15, 2010
Casio ConcertMate 410 (Stock)
Price paid/price new: $9.99/Not sure.
Years manufactured: 1990s(?)

Specs: Revolting off gray/purple plastic body, 5 drum effects, 12 keyboard instruments, octave shifter, reverberation, 12 rhythms, automated keyboard rhythm lines, 18 demo songs, 80% of buttons in working condition.

Sound: 1.5/5. The stock sound is, unsurprisingly, anemic- after all, this is a 37 key kid's keyboard. It's meant to be played for thirty minutes by a 7 year old, then stored in an attic for fifteen years, and then given away to the Salvation Army so people like me can pick it up and mutilate its circuitry.

Instrument quality: 1.75/5. Another department in which this instrument disappoints. The buttons are cheap plastic and difficult to press down, although this may have resulted from a catastrophic soda spill at one point in time- probably in the 1990s, judging by the extremely sticky deposits in the grooves of the speaker molding.

Playability: 4/5. This is the ConcertMate's saving grace- the keyboard is easy to play, providing you don't mind getting carpal tunnel syndrome from tapping incessantly on the miniscule keys. Unlike most lovely kid's keyboards made today (and they keep getting shittier, I swear), you can play more than two notes simultaneously without the system overloading and deciding to ignore the demands of your fingers. The keyboard controls are endearing but surprisingly screwy, pre-schoolers beware.

Overall value: 5/5. One of the best ten dollars I've ever spent. I've wasted hours and hours bending the circuitry and adding my own switches, then running it through pedals and a tube amp to get some wicked sounds. This keyboard is the only instrument I've so far used for the RPM Challenge 2011, because it rocks if you give it a little TLC. With the proper amount of grit and determination, you can unleash the ConcertMate beast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU