Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Ibanez GSR200
Price: $200
Year: 2003
Specs:

Agathis body
One-piece maple neck
Rosewood fretboard
Pearl dot inlay
Split-coil and single-coil pickup combination
Active EQ with Phat Bass Boost
Chrome hardware
Fully adjustable bridge
Medium frets
Adjustable bridge

Sound: 4/5
The sound on this thing is pretty good, especially considering it is a pretty low priced guitar. Some have argued with me that it isn't that great sounding of an instrument, but I like it.

Instrument Quality: 3.5/5
It is a sturdy bass, not to heavy and not to light, however small things suck as buzzing on the G & D strings knocks it down on the scale. (However this may be to my complete lack of knowledge of setting the thing up, your mileage may vary.)

Playbility:4/5
The GSR200 plays very well, the neck isn't all jumbo sized which I like because it easier for me to move my finters around the fret. However if you like giagantor sized frets, then this might not be the guitar for you.

Overall Value: 4/5
This is a great beginner guitar, and has good features. If you really wanted to scimp I guess you could go for the GSR100, but I think for the little ammount of money more you spend on the GSR200 is well worth it. Overall this is a great beginner guitar, and has everything you need to be well on your way to bassville USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Squier Standard Fat Telecaster
Price: $220
Year: 2004
Specs:

* 1 Neck Humbucker Pickup, 1 Single Coil Bridge Pickup
* 24 Fret Mahogony (and plyboard!) neck.
* Chrome Hardware

All things considered it sounds pretty decent for being so inexpensive, and for being a Squier. The single coil bridge pickup creates a little bit of a hum, but I think this is more a problem with my amp than with the guitar itself. The neck pickup however sounds quite nice. It doesn't sound as good as a Fender, but it's pretty close. You could easily drop in a set of new pickups off Ebay and have yourself a nice Telecaster!

Instrument Quality: 4/5
Again for the price, the quality is excellent. I have had no problems with it at all, and it stays in tune pretty well to. The only thing I dislike is the 3-way selector switch, it's a tad on the flimsy side, but it is not so poor of a quality that it will come out in your hands.

Plays very nice, and to me feels comprable to playing a Fender. The neck plays pretty well, and overall I like how it plays. The action comes a little low for my taste, but it's easily adjustable.

Great for a first guitar, or any guitar for that matter. If you want a Telecaster without the Fender price, this is the way to go. If you get a plain color you can pick them up pretty cheap at any guitar shop. Mine was a little more expensive because of the Sunburst finish. However you really can't beat this guitar, I would higly reccomend it to anyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Price: $299
Year: 2005
Specs:

* Maple body
* Mahogany neck
* Bound rosewood fretboard
* 22 large frets
* ACH1 humbucker at the neck
* ACH2 humbucker at the bridge
* Chrome hardware
* Pearl dot inlays

This guitar sounds pretty good, I wouldn't go so far to say it sounds awesome, but it can crank out the jams no problem. You can easily play rock or jazz on this guitar, it's is pretty versatile.

Instrument Quality: 4/5
This is a fine instrument to say the least. It is one hot looking guitar, there is no questioning that! It is solid, and everything feels as it should. The only thing that took getting used to (For me at least) was the top strap button is located on the back of the buitar directly below where the neck is. While it's not a major issue, it did take some getting used to.

While this guitar does play very nice, you have to get used to the neck. It's really tall, it almost feels like your playing a bass. The body is also a little on the big side, and at times it can be hard to get a comfortable position for my picking hand. Most of the time though it isn't to much of an issue. Mostly it bothers me after I have been playing for hours.

Overall this is a great guitar. The big factor is that it looks loving sweet. I would recomend it to anyone who wants to do some rock or jazz, maybe even blues. To my ears it doesn't sound quite right when playing punk music, but maybe it's just me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Price: $99
Year: 2005
Specs:

* Classic LP styling
* Fast neck
* Tonewood body
* Single high-output humbucker at the bridge

Sound: 3/5
The sound isn't terrible, but isn't outstanding either. It has a single humbucker pickup which does a pretty decent job, but there isn't a lot of a lot of versatility to be found. Has one volume and one tone knob.

Instrument Quality: 3/5
This is a heavy loving guitar, it's deceiving because it's a small guitar. While this isn't a completely lovely guitar, it's not great either.

Playbility:3.5/5
The playability is actually pretty good on this thing. My only gripe is that if you are like me, and attack the strings hard while playing, they have a tendancy to hit the pickup, which creates irritating sounds. You can get around that by playing a little lighter, but that's not really how I play. Aside from that, the neck action is pretty decent.

Overall Value: 3.5/5
Like most things about this guitar, everything is absolutely average. This isn't a guitar I would use to gig with, I would say get the Gibson model instead. However this makes a great practice guitar, and maybe for very small gatherings where a electric guitar is needed. It makes a wonderful beginners guitar, the only reason I bought it was because of the absurdly cheap price tag, and because I wanted to gently caress with it.

Mode 7 Samurai fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 8, 2005