Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Title of Equipment: Ampeg SVT-III PRO
Price Paid / Price New: ~$500/$900
Year Manufactured: Either 2002 or 2003
Specs: Full spec list
  • Tube preamp (1x12AX7, 1x12AU7), MOSFET power amp
  • 275 watts @ 8 ohms, 450 watts @ 4 ohms
  • Onboard 3-band tone with semi-parametric mids and 9-band graphic footswitchable eq
  • Effects loop, tuner out, preamp out/power amp in, 1xSpeakon out, 2x1/4" out (no built in crossover)

Sound: 5/5
I bought this amp sight unseen from a fellow over at the fine forums at Harmony Central. I've been blown away by the results. Paired with my Avatar 2x10 (review to come), this little rig cost me under a grand and sounds awesome. The Ampeg responds very well to the active electronics of my bass (Schecter Stiletto 5-string). My usual tone is a fairly full and deep rock tone, but it's very easy to roll off some highs (or flip on the EQ) and go to nasal-slap-o-rama

Equipment Quality: 5/5
Had it racked since I got it and been very gentle to it, but it's not given me a lick of trouble yet. Have not replaced tubes since I got it (used) over a year ago.

Usefullness: 5/5
I love this amp and if it were stolen, I would either replace it straight up or look at upgrading to one of Ampeg's all-tube monsters. Honestly, I don't know that I'll ever need a different amp - if anything, I may add another cabinet to get it driving @ 4 ohms, but that's a wase down the road.

Overall Value: 5/5
I think this amp was an absolute steal for $500. Compared to some of SWR's stuff, I think it stacks up very very well. For $900, I'm not sure that it's the greatest value, but if you are looking for a new bass head, I would definitely recommend looking around for a used SVT-3.

If you have any questions on this monster, just send me a PM :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU