Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr. Amplifier (Gibson GA-5)
Price Paid / Price New: $399/Discontinued, but available commonly from $300-$600 on eBay
Year Manufactured: 2008

Specs:
5W, True Class-A tube
Approx. 8 lbs.
8" speaker
Two inputs, one low-impedance, one hi-impedance
One master volume knob

Sound: 4/5. Breaks up really nicely, allows for some cleaner sounds if you plug it into the hi-impedance channel. It's pretty loud for a 5 watt amp, but it is tube, soo...

The only thing is that there is no tone knob, so all tone options come in the form of external pedals, the guitar itself, and of course, the guitarist's fingers. This is handy if you like your amps to be particularly no-frills, but it's definitely not a do-it-all type amp.

The overdrive also gets a bit ragged, which can be desirable or it can be smoothed out by rolling back your guitar's tone knob. Also, don't expect any clean tones past 12 o'clock. If you hit the strings hard, you'll get some breakup at 10 o'clock on the volume.

Equipment Quality: 5/5. Sturdy, reliable, and lightweight, too. Gibson products are fairly well-made, and even a relatively cheap amp like this is put together well. No cosmetic issues, wiring appears to be neat and in order.

Usefulness: 4/5. Not exactly a versatile amp. Pretty much up to you as a guitarist to inflict your personal style on it. I've used it as a practice amp, and it's my main amp in my apartment because I can get it to be somewhat quiet. This is pretty clearly an amp made for the recording studio, though.

Overall Value: 5/5. Cheap, only getting cheaper, and available on eBay. If you need something that breaks up really well and records well, this is the amp for you. I've also gotten good results by running a preamp through the main input of the amp and using it to simulate power amp breakup in the studio. As far as smaller amps go, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck with the Gibson GA-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU