Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Shovelmint posted:

I'm looking to buy my wife a keyboard. She played a lot of piano back in the day, but we don't have the space (nor money) for a real one. So I want to get something that wont break the bank, but will give her a decent quality musical experience, so velocity sensitive keys are a must, and weighted keys would be nice as well. I mess around a little with Ableton, too, so if it could interact with that it would be a decent plus. The full range of keys would be awesome, but 60ish would probably be fine, or I guess even half of them assuming its flexible enough to play the sorts of pieces she would enjoy. I can probably spend up to $400, though a little more would be possible, though less is preferable as well since we've got new child expenses that are likely to crop up. Also, with regard to the new child, lead paint/wash your hands after playing keyboards are a no-go. Is there actually anything decent I could get, or am I looking for too much for my price range? My wife's not a super serious musician, though she does have skills, so I'm not looking for professional level performance, just an enjoyable experience.

If your wife played piano, probably look for something with 88 weighted keys as that will be familiar to her and will likely encourage her to play more over something with less keys and synth-type action. Anything in the Yamaha P line-up or the Casio Privia series would probably work out great. I believe some (or most) of the Privia models have USB such that you could use it as a controller for something like Ableton. Futhermore, most any digital piano would have MIDI which you could also easily get into a computer via an audio interface or a $30ish MIDI to USB converter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU