Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Title of Instrument Example: Schecter Omen 8 String
Price Paid / Price New: Example: $400/$569 (Although i cant actually FIND it for the new price, it seems like everyone is selling it for 400)
Year Manufactured: Example: 2011
Specs: Rosewood fretboard, Bolt on Maple Neck REALLY THIN, 24 Jumbo frets, Schecter Custom-8 bridge hardtail, Schecter Diamond Plus Omen 8 pickups (more on these later)

Sound: 4/5: The "proper" sound of an 8 string guitar has yet to be determined i think, but i bought this primarily to try it out with some Djent'y type tones and to try some jazz stuff with it. It sounds great when you take the time to dial in your amp to a different setting then what you use with a 6 string. Esepcially on particularly wet settings, you WILL need to adjust it just will sound too muddy. That said, the Omen is Schecter's affordable range and while that price tag is one of the GREAT things about the instrument allowing players who want to try 8 string playing an entry level instrument that really leaves little to be desired. Probably the ONLY issue with it however is the stock pickups. While not dreadful, they can be muddy especially on high gain settings on the B and E (in standard eight string tuning, strings 7 and 6) range. The highs are nice and clear and the LOWEST of the lows is good but the mids leave a lot to be desired. After i owned the guitar for a few months i replaced these pickups with Dimarzio's DActivator 8 string pickups and the problem is completely fixed. If you buy it and decide you really like 8 string playing, this guitar leaves you with 100 dollars between you and a top of the line 8 string shred machine.

Instrument Quality: 5/5: IF you get it in the Walnut satin finish like i did, it comes with gunmetal hardware and a finish that makes it look just like the Jeff Loomis signature edition. It also comes in white and black, but the hardware on those is chromed out and it makes the whole thing look a bit cheap i think. All of my other electric guitars are Ibanez's so i was worried i wouldn't like this but the quality is great, it feels very well put together and all the parts feel like quality. Rare especially at this price range.

Playbility: 4/5. Great neck, fast and thin D shape very well suited to learning 8 string playing. The size of the neck can take some getting used too especially if you have never played an 8 string before. At 24 frets the upper fret 23-24 access is kinda limited just because of the design of the neck joint but the scale length is great for this type of guitar and the body is nice and light for an 8 string.

Overall Value: 5/5 8 string's of any sort of quality are difficult to get into for under 700 dollars, this guitar leaves you with a still heavy wallet and a great starting 8 string that wont make you feel limited by it. like i said change the pickups to any of the major models (it comes with passive's installed so if you put in active pickups it will require a bit more work) but for 100-200 dollars that you can spend later if you liked it you have a top-tier, nice looking & feeling 8 string to play with

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Title of Equipment Example: Digitech RP 500
Price Paid / Price New: Example: 179.00/200.00
Year Manufactured: Example: 2008
Specs: A multi effects pedal for guitar primarily That features amp modeling and TONS of stompbox/expression pedal effects. (53 Amps, 22 Cabs, 72 Effects). It comes preloaded with 100 factory presets with room for 100 MORE user presets, bringing to a total off 200 on board presets. The input is a standard 1/4 jack and its outputs are 1/4 inch out (Stereo and mono) headphones, XLR stereo (ground and lift) and USB for ASIO control. It can be used to control programs such as Guitar Rig 3. It has switches for true bypass, tap, and preset advance up and down as well as a click on/off expression pedal. It also has a looper for phrase recording

Editing Presets is very easy, the display is easy enough to figure out and the multiple endless knobs make tweaking your tone very easy

Sound (or applicable): 4/5: The Amps and effects sound very good and are for the most part faithful reproductions of their counterparts, even the acoustic amp's don't color the sound of your guitar much more than they should. However, play with it enough and especially on some of the cleaner settings you can tell that is not TRULY organic.

Equipment Quality: Example 5/5: Switches feel great and i have gigged with this in front of my amp and used it in my apartment when a Full stack H&K Tube amp is just not appropriate and it is still in one piece

Usefulness: Example 5/5: Great additional piece of gear for people that need to practice/record in a situation were they cant bring their full rig. It is also a fantastic practice tool and lets you experiment with tons of tones at a low price.

Overall Value: Example 5/5: Absolutely worth the price, are there better tools for this purpose? sure, it's no AX-FX but its also about 1/15th the price of some of the higher end stuff and you get a lot out of this pedal

Pictures: