Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Title of Equipment: PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL
Price Paid / Price New: $199/$249
Year Manufactured: 2011
Specifications:
  • 2 inputs and 2 outputs (through USB).
  • 2 Amplified/Combined XLR balanced and Hiz ¼" TS unbalanced.
  • 2 Analog Output ¼" TRS balanced (Mono).
  • 1 Headphone ¼" TRS (Stereo).
  • Midi in/out.
  • USB 2.0 interface/USB powered.
  • 24bit 96kHz sampling rate.
  • Direct monitoring.
  • Metal chassis.

Sound: 4/5.
The preamp for the microphone is +65dB, for the instrument input it is +50 dB. You get a good signal from the microphone and it is possible to get a good sound from plugging a guitar direct into the box. A maximum of 96 kHz sampling rate.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
PreSonus have made the interface with a metal chassis. The knobs are made out of metal and have a good feel when turning them.

Usefullness: 4/5.
It does not have line level inputs.

Overall Value: 4/5.
It was worth the price I paid, $199.

In this jungle there are a lot of interfaces within the price range $150 to $250.

From the store I made the purchase I asked for a comparison with the Tascam US144 mkII, the same price and they had that in stock, I got a blank "No they are not comparable.". Sales talk perhaps, but there was no apparent reason for me to believe that there would be any difference for them concerning what I would end up buying.

The interface does not have as many features as the Tascam product, I think that those included are well made (+65 db mic preamp spec). There are reverb/delay vsl effects that runs on the interface instead of running them through the DAW, saving a few ms of latency when monitoring and recording.

The installation was a painless experience for me on Windows 7 64bit. I have yet to open the included CD's as I opted to download the drivers from the PreSonus website, with that also came an upgrade for the interface. The software included are PreSonus VSL Control/Monitor and Studio One Artist. Up to this point the interface has worked well with Cubase 4 LE and REAPER.

With 256 kb buffer I get 9+9ms latency, reported from the ASIO driver.

Comparing with my former interface to record the guitar, a Digitech RP500, I get a sound that I much more pleased with. The setup I use is that I plug the output from the RP500 to the Audiobox instrument input. The RP500 also uses a USB connection, to make it clear that the comparison is not made from using an instrument level output into a line level input on a sound card.

The lack of line inputs feels like a drawback.

erephus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU