Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swagulous
May 22, 2013

by Baldo di Gregorio
MV-8800 with VGA-out and 8 additional outputs (it's an instrument, and a piece of equipment!)

Price Paid / Price New:
I didn't pay anything. I traded a computer for it! / Retail(ed) $2000 w/ the vga and 8 out options. I say retailed because I'm not sure they make it still.

Year Manufactured:
2007 to ?

Specs:
-Multitrack recording, mixing, mastering, general DAW capabilites, CD and DVD burning
-Integration of drum machine-style pattern recording and DAW-style linear recording
-Realtime control of audio pitch and time, groove quantize, and pattern/song arrangements — "great for both studio and stage"
-VGA Output for connecting to a monitor - it operates an FL Studio-type interface. You need a PS/2 mouse to use the VGA out option.
-Roland instrument and effects models onboard, including TR-808, TR-909, SRV reverb, SDD-320 Chorus, SBF-325 Flanger, Boss BF-2 and HF-2, and RE-201 Space Echo
-Three MIDI ports (IN x 1, OUT x 2) for connecting external MIDI devices
-Color LCD with icon-oriented interface (Resolution 480 TPQN)
-Wave Memory (RAM) DIMM: 1 slot (168 pins, PC100 CL = 2 or PC133 CL = 3, 3.3 V, 128 M bytes, 256 M bytes, 512 M bytes), 128 M bytes (standard), Expandable up to 512 M bytes (replacement to 512 M bytes DIMM is required.)
-Maximum Sampling Time with 128 M bytes DIMM (standard) mono: 24 min. approx. (stereo: 12 min. approx.) / with 512 M bytes DIMM (expanded) mono: 100 min. approx. (stereo: 50 min. approx.)
-16 pressure/velocity sensitive drum pads
-Parts 16 (Instruments) + 9 (Audio Tracks) + 1 (Audio Phrases)
-a bunch of other really cool features that I go on to describe in the review

Ease of Use:
It has a pretty high learning curve compared to the MPC, however, it is WORTH IT! The amount of features compared to the MPC make this beast a great drum machine that is often overlooked.
7/10

Sound:
It's a drum machine/sampler, and it has what I'd say is the best mix between a new age and classic sound as you can get.
9/10

Usefulness:
From beat production to recording, this beast WILL leave you satisfied. As I said, the learning curve is pretty drat high, but after you get over the intial hump, don't be surprised
when you find yourself unable to stop using it for any beat production/recording.
9.5/10

Overall Rating:
I'd say a solid 8/10. It's the best drum machine/sampler I've owned, and I've had everything from machines to MPCs to MPKs to offbrand BS.

My take:
When I first got the MV8800, I traded a crappy desktop for it to some guy off craigslist and figured I'd be using it all the time. Boy, was I wrong... at first!
After about 1 month of owning it, the initial hype wore off and I got bored. However, after watching some youtube videos on it, my hype was quickly revived. I discovered there were so many unique features compared
to the MPC that would make this thing an incredible beast if I learned how to use them.
Some features that I decided made the cut of the "Must Learn/Must Know About" list:
-Importing samples from dvds (yes, not just CDs, DVDs!)
-Analog Synth Modeler for most Basses and a couple synths - useful for making dubstep wobbles, there's even a tutorial for it on youtube
-Mapping anything, even realtime fx to the knobs and faders
-Layering more than the sample mixtable allows using this ridiculous method the guy WaxDat8800 invented on youtube
-Patch Jacker (look it up, it's hard to explain)
-Overlocking
-Real time quantizing

Yeah, but long story short, you should all go buy one 'cause it's the best thing ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU