Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’ve had my MPC X for about a year now. At first it was primarily used in standalone mode. Standalone mode is crash happy and caused me to put it away for a while and felt like I wasted money. I loved the machine, the workflow, everything. But when I would copy notes on the piano roll, sometimes it would copy them to some outrageous time, like bar 5000, and crash the MPC (I assume because it maxed all CPU load).

Autosave interrupts your progress by showing you how far along it was in saving, and with bigger projects this can take up to 30 seconds.

Because of this bug and inefficient autosave, the enjoyable workflow was interrupted and, thus, not enjoyable anymore.

Several months later I got a new laptop. Now I run MPC2.8 on my Mac and use the MPC as the centerpiece of everything. I LOVE using it. It’s the most fun I’ve had making tunes in my whole six years since I started messing around in FL Studio.

Which leads to my verdict:

If this bug is mine and mine alone, then I believe it is absolutely worth the price tag. It is an all in one solution.

BUT!!!!!

Because of this bug, I will never recommend it to anyone. If this bug exists in the MPC Live, I wouldn’t recommend that for its price tag either. I would recommend just getting a much cheaper 16 pad controller (like the MPD232 or something similar) if you’re going to be tethered to a computer. You can get them with a bunch of knobs and gizmos just like the MPC for 20% of the price.

Will I get rid of it as a result? No. I’ve actually grown very attached to it.

Would I buy it again if I could go back a year? Also no.

PS: it is admittedly ugly as sin. I took the red side skirts off of it for a marginal improvement. This might be just my opinion though.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
update: I got in touch with Akai and they have not heard of this issue, so it is 99% for certain a problem only I have.

With that said, after some thought I think I’d still probably recommend getting the Live II unless you’ve got specific reasons for wanting the X, but do your research first to make sure. I don’t think the knobs and buttons are worth the extra money but I don’t know how not having them would slow down my workflow.