Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer Lobster
Jul 8, 2002
I <3 E/N THREADS!
Not sure this even needs a review but bought a new one recently, so I thought I'd contribute.

Title of Equipment: Shure SM57
Price Paid / Price New: AUD$130.00 (Student Discount)
Year Manufactured: Forever and ever...
Specs Equipment's Specifications:
- Dynamic Cardioid Microphone
- Frequency response: 40 to 15,000 Hz

Sound (or applicable): 4/5. The SM57 has always been a classic for miking snares and guitar cabinets, especially close miking. I mostly use mine as the go to mic for high SPL close miking and recently a lot of vocals (with a pop shield). The sound is quite clear, loud and bright. Like many dynamic mic's there is a bump in the presence range. I have always been a fan of this microphone's sound.

Equipment Quality: 4/5. This mic has been damaged once. The wires inside were twisted until they ripped from their solder, probably due to people fiddling with opening up the mic too much. This was easily repaired at home in very little time. Apart from that incident, this mic can be dropped, hit with drum sticks and survive all the usual wear and tear with no trouble. It is extremely rugged. I recently heard that SM57's used to be used in tanks for communication. Not sure if this is true.

Usefullness: 5/5. If you just want to record vocals, you could do better by getting a studio condensor, but still, there is always a use for this mic.

Overall Value: 4/5. The price I paid was below the average price for sure. Also the amount of use this mic gets makes it one of my most satisfying purchases.

I'd be suprised if people here hadn't heard of this microphone. If you haven't, it is worth checking one out right away.

Killer Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU