Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Since I originally made this post, I've been employed by another microphone company for several years and my opinion has changed on this mic. I will leave this review as is, but will comment that I've learned a lot about mics since July 2004 and my opinion has changed.

---------------------
Audix OM7 Vocal Microphone
Price Paid / Price New: $229
Year Manufactured: Example: 1990-Present
Specs:
  • Dynamic Transducer
  • Frequency Response 48 Hz- 19 kHz
  • Polar Pattern Hypercardioid
  • Off axis rejection >30 dB
  • Maximum SPL >144 dB

Sound: 5/5. This mic sounds awesome, the extended frequency response of the highs and lows really adds to the presence and clarity, especially in the monitors.

Equipment Quality: 5/5. This mic is solid. The wind screen is very tightly knit so that if you drop it it wont bend in nearly as much as other, cheaper mics. The connector is gold plated and is tight, when you connect a cable it's a firm and solid connection, excellent for running around on stage with.

Usefullness: [5/5. This mic is now my main vocal mic, replacing my Beta 58.

Overall Value: 5/5. I purchased this with my employee discount at guitar center, but having used the mic now for a couple of months, I would have paid the full retail price. It's worth every penny.

Having used a lot of different vocal mics in my day, the OM7 wins hands down. This mic was designed in the 90s for grunge bands that had huge stage volumes yet still wanted to hear their vocals clearly, and has since become THE gain before feedback mic. If my band is playing at full blast and I'm not singing, the meters on my mixer only read at -30db, whereas when I'm singing they're at 0 or +6. This mic rejects everything you don't want, and makes everything you do want sound killer. I would almost even describe this mic as if it had a compressor/gate built into it, but really that's just because I can hear myself singing so clearly now that it's easier to know when to back off and when to get as close as I can to the mic.

And the sonic quality of this mic is unsurpassed by any handheld mic i've tried. I would even compare it to the Neuman KMS105, it's that good. It deffinately beats a Beta58, no question. My vocals are clean, clear, crisp, yet warm and very present. They sound very real, and there's no artificial boomy low end that a lot of other mics add when you don't want it. At the same time, the mic gives you plenty to work with in terms of EQ and frequency response. If you want boomy, you have it available to you.

Other artists who use this mic include Eddie Vedder, american hifi, Bad Religion, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, Mighty Mighty Boss Tones, New Found Glory, Offspring, Rancid, Red Hot Chili Pepers, Sivlerchair, Sonic Youth, The Donnas, and of course Maynard from Tool and APC.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU