Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
ESP Ltd. Kirk Hammett KH-203
Price Paid / Price New: $450/$450
Year Manufactured: 2003
Specs:
  • bolt-on construction
  • basswood body
  • maple neck
  • rosewood fingerboard
  • spider/skull & bones inlays w/model name at 24th fret
  • EMG-HZ H-4 pickups
  • Floyd Rose licensed bridge
  • 24 XJ frets

Sound: 5/5
Being a Metallica fan, obviously, this Kirk Hammett signature model produces exactly the sound I would like for a hard and heavy show. Whether I'm playing Master of Puppets or something original, I feel this guitar can really put out a wall of sound. It is limited to mostly Metal and Rock, however, as the EMG pickups aren't versatile enough for Blues and such. But, then again, why would you buy a Kirk Hammett signature if you intend to play Blues? Also, the pickups aren't active, so it may not have that extra "oomph" you want to take your show to the next level. Still, put this through a Mesa Double Rectifier, and you have a tone that's not to be messed with.

Instrument Quality: 4/5
This is a very solid, well-manufactured guitar. It's not as heavy as, say, a Les Paul, but it's built well enough to handle a lot of work. So, you don't have to worry about breaking your back every time you pick it up. The custom Spider 'N Skull inlays are also a very nice touch that are guaranteed to attract attention. My main complain, of course, is the Floyd Rose bridge. If you intend to play mostly in one tuning, have at it. However, I like changing tunings a lot because I enjoy different styles of music. It's very frustrating to take the time to change the tuning for one whole song. If you have another guitar you can use for tunings other than standard, I'd suggest using it.

Playbility: 4/5
As I said, this guitar is surprisingly light for its build. The action is great for those lead guitar solos, and popping some Boomer 9's on it can yeild some very nice results. Both beginners and experts could play it without problems. If there's any problem, it's the deep neck. If you have shorter fingers, you may have problems using your reach to a full potential here. It's definitely a slower neck than, say, a Stratocaster. I have large hands, though, so it has never bothered me excessively.

Overall Value: 5/5
For $450, this is an amazing Metal guitar. It's powerful enough to last you well into a professional career, but not so expensive that you couldn't afford it to be your first guitar. If you want a solid guitar to rock out on, you'll be hard-pressed to find a guitar this well-built for the same price. You can also take out the current pickups and put in an active set to make this guitar truly shine above others in its price-range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU