Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Mesa/Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5 *discontinued*

Price Paid/New $500/$1200 USD

Year Manufactured not sure. mid/late 90s

Specs
  • 50w tube pre and power
  • 8 or 4 ohm
  • solid state rectifier
  • 1x12 combo
  • Celestion Black Shadow speaker
Sound 4.7/5 Whatever sound you want. Mesas serve anyone from thrashers to bluesmen. This particular line has a poo poo ton of knobs and an 5 band switchable EQ, so you can get an incredible range of sound. My current settings are such that I get sort of a Trey Anastasio/Santana tone but with a bit more Marshall-esque edge. The clean channel is second possibly only to that of a Fender Twin Reverb or DeVille. the overdrive channel is where I spend most of my time, and it's better than just about any amp in it's class. Save your stomp boxes for the backup amp, you won't need them here.

Equipment Quality 5/5 VERY nice piece of equipment. Very heavy, durable construction. I don't know what they put in it, but it's built like an unusually dense brick. Alas, there are tubes, so you can't just toss it out the window to your buddy downstairs when you're packing up.

Usefullness 4.5/5 This amp is incredibly versatile. It even has a mute switch so you bedroom shredders can do silent recording at night. There are gain, bass/mid/treb, presence and volume knobs for both channels (plus a pull out gain boost for the clean channel) and a switchable EQ for one or both channels (you can switch that, too), so the possibilities of application are nearly endless. With my settings I can do jazz, blues, metal, rock and only switch between clean, dirty and EQ on/off. The style is all in your wrist with such versatile tone. This amp loses a point, however, because it's just a 1x12 and you'll probably have to get a cab for it if you want to do large, un-mic'd gigs and don't want to dish out for another Celestion. But it gains half a point back because it can drive virtually any cab, despite mismatched impedence ratings.

Overall Value 5/5. For the price I paid, this is an awesome amp. It was even better because I had just sold my Crate half stack for $400 to Guitar Center (suckers!) and really only lost $100 on the whole transaction. Needless to say, only losing $100 on any Mesa/Boogie is practically a dream come true. I also bought it from my guitar teacher, so I have virtually free expert repair anytime I need.

I should add that this is a LOUD 1x12. About as loud as any Fender amp. I've never turned the thing above 3channel vol 3master vol, and that was painful. It could easily handle a club or basement gig with no mic, but you'd probably want at least a 2x12 cab to spread the sound and tighten up the bass response. For you daring, I'd suggest trying out the gain boost, you'll have to stand a long way back from it, but it sounds like some good old vintage tube overdrive like you'd hear on Zepplin I. Also, there are some nifty features and stuff that I don't really use and didn't explain here, so if anyone's interested, here's a link to a .pdf of the manual. very well written, I might add. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 19, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU