Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
We are in desperate need of more reviews! I personally would like to see more instrument reviews, but we could use more reviews in general!

Also, do not feel forced into this format. Though it makes things look more uniform, it is not mandatory.

The Musician's Lounge Instrument/Eqipment Review Thread
Reviews: By goons, for goons.

A: Reviewing an Instrument
Please use "N/A" with any section not applicable, just for uniformity.

Title of Instrument Example: Gibson Les Paul Studio
Price Paid / Price New: Example: $500/$900
Year Manufactured: Example: 2004
Specs: Instrument's Specifications - Pickups, Neck, etc. Use a list if possible.

Sound: Example 5/5. Then below type a short review if you desire.

Instrument Quality: Example 5/5. Type a short review if you want.

Playbility: Example 5/5. Another short review if you want.

Overall Value: Example 5/5. Was it worth the price you paid? Why or why not?

Any other information you'd like to add, please feel free to do so.

Overall Value: Example 5/5. Worth the price, all things considered? Would you have paid more for this
instrument?

B: Reviewing a Piece of Equipment
Once again, if you would please put an N/A for uniformity.

Title of Equipment Example: Fender Champion 30
Price Paid / Price New: Example: $500/$900
Year Manufactured: Example: 2004
Specs Equipment's Specifications. Power supply, what it does, etc. Use a list if possible

Sound (or applicable): Example 5/5. Then below type a short review if you desire.

Equipment Quality: Example 5/5. Type a short review if you want.

Usefullness: Example 5/5. Another short review if you want.

Overall Value: Example 5/5. Was it worth the price you paid? Why or why not?

Any other information you'd like to add, please feel free to do so.

du -hast fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 11, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Price: $200
Year: 2003
Specs:
  • 2 Open Coil Humbuckers
  • 24 Fret Mahogony (and plyboard!) neck.
  • Chrome Hardware
  • Les Paul Body Type
Sound: 2/5
All things considered the sound is very marginal. On the bridge pickup, there is a slight hum and popping sound, and the tone seems to be consistently off. The neck pickup produces a slightly more rich sound. More muffled sounding, and much cleaner. There seems to be no real reason to ever use the bridge pickup as it is simply a quiter version of the neck pickup. The sound of both pickups is lacking, seeming to be much less full than equal guitars of it's same price range.

Instrument Quality: 1/5
The quality of this instrument is where it really misses the mark. The guitar does not come set up, and the tone is consistently off especially on the G. The neck of my brother's - who has the same guitar - came actually cracked in the back. The electronics where you plugin falls out constantly; I've finally given up and superglued it on. Also, this guitar weighs about fifteen pounds, it's like carrying an instrument made of bricks.

Playbility:3/5
The playbility of this guitar is marginal; there are dead spots on the neck and it seems as though the frets were spaced in a random order, causing much difficulty fingering. This has an odd feel to it. However, a guitar's a guitar, and the neck is a little wider than a Squier Strat, which is nice for my big hands.

Overall Value: 2/5
Don't buy this guitar as your first, go for a Squier Strat instead. It's similarly priced, and sounds slightly better. And if you have the money to go higher, do so. You get less than what you pay for.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Fender Champion 30
Price Paid / Price New:$249/$239
Year Manufactured: 2003
Specs:
  • Solid State
  • 30 watts into 8 ohms
  • 1-10" Fender Special Design 8 ohm Speaker
  • DSP Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flange, Tremolo, Vibratone
  • Independent Volume Controls in Each Channel
  • Front Panel Footswitch Jack (for Remote Drive Select, footswitch not included)
  • Headphone Jack
  • Fender's "Smooth Clipping" Circuit Designed to Simulate Tube Distortion
  • Jewel Pilot Light
  • IEC Grounding Type Power Supply Cord
  • Black Textured Vinyl with Silver Grille Cloth
  • 25 lbs.
  • 15.5" H x 17" W x 8.25" D

[/b]Sound:[/b] 5/5
Loud, great sound, no tinniness in sight. As loud as a tube amp and better sounding. I've never seen a better sounding amp (or heard rather).

Equipment Quality: 4/5
Wonderful quality. Sturdy, and won't break if you drop it. My only complaint is that the knobs are easy to pop off unknowingly when you brush by something.

Usefullness: 5/5
My only amp, it's obviously useful.

Overall Value: Example 5/5
Buy it.