Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Yamaha MOTIF8 digital workstation

Price Paid / Price New: ~$2,100 USD / ~$2,999 USD (has since been replaced with MOTIF ES8)
Year: 2003
Specs: 88-key weighted digital piano, integrated sequencer, USB MIDI connection, optical out.
Sound: 4.5/5

Obviously this depends highly on the amplifier and/or monitors used (I'm running a Roland KC-550), but I've never played anything that felt quite so much like a real grand piano. The keys are heavy and feel crisp and resistant, like a real piano should. The voices included are good, but I bought the PLG-150PF add-in board because I use this keyboard mainly as a piano replacement. This board added 64 new piano sounds, and this thing can duplicate anything from a Wurlitzer to a Rhodes without breaking a sweat.

However, it should be noted that nothing really sounds nearly as good as a good grand piano. I was a little disappointed by the MOTIF in this regard, but after comparing it to the Roland Fantom and the Korg Triton/Trinity, the Yamaha had by far the best sound reproduction.

Quality: 5/5

This thing is built like a tank. Granted, I've babied it over the past years I've owned it, but it's given me no troubles whatsoever.

Usefulness: 4.5/5

The only hinderance of this thing is its size and weight. But I think that kinda comes with the territory when you're in the market for a full weighted 88-key piano.

Other than that, it's been put through its paces in the studio, live, at rehearsals - pretty much anywhere. As long as you can fit it in the room, it's perfect.

Overall: 5/5

In short, the best thing short of a real grand piano.

Cmdr Will Riker fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 17, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Moog Voyager Electric Blue

From the website:

Looks best when dark.

New best friends:

Price Paid / Price New: ~$2,200 USD / ~$3,500 USD :ninja:
Year: 2005
Specs: The most bad-rear end analog synth on the planet. 3 oscillators, LFO, 2 modulation buses (busses? What were they thinking with the spelling?), octave controls for all 3 oscillators, built-in mixer, envelope filter, built in dual-lowpass and highpass/lowpass filters, touch-sensitive screen of death.
Sound: 5/5

This thing has to be heard to be believed. It produces the most insane sounds I've ever heard from any instrument ever (sans Theremin). It's a dream come true. Crazy bass riffs, special effects, leads - it does 'em all.

Quality: 5/5

I'm afraid to touch the drat thing (just got it yesterday), but it certainly seems like it's a well-built piece of machinery. The knobs are huge and heavy, and they feel like they've been welded on. It's also heavy as hell (shipping weight was just about 50 lbs. for a 48-key piano).

Usefulness: ?/5

I haven't used it for any recording yet, but this will not be an instrument that is used all the time (well, it'll be used all the time, but it's just not for every song). However, like I mentioned earlier, this can record bass lines, high leads and the occasional crazy effect, so I'm sure it will be very useful.

Overall: 5/5

Jesus, once I get some stuff made with the Moog, I'll share it with you guys. It's that loving good.