Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Peavey Ultra 60 Head

Price Paid / Price New: $199/NA
Year Manufactured: N/A
Specs:
- All tube 60w head (4 12AX7s in the pre, 2 6L6 in the power)
- Three channel operation (Clean, rhythm, ultra)
- Active EQ for rhythm and ultra channels, passive for clean channel
- Spring reverb
- Footswitchable between three channels and reverb
- Weighs a metric fuckton
- Brightness control to make clean channel twang (Get a tele sound out of humbuckers)

Sound: 4/5
This amp is the precursor to the Triple XXX (which is still in the Ultra series of amps). The distortion on it absolutely crushes. The rhythm section is very heavy and thick while the ultra lead sounds like pure sex. Very warm, sustaining, and smooth. The clean channel leaves a little to be desired however. Without the bright switch on it sounds a little too dark, with it on its too twangy. I never have found a happy medium in over a year, so deduct a point for that.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
It's solid as a tank. If I dropped this thing on the sidewalk I'd fear more for breaking the sidewalk than the head itself. I've had to change tubes in it about twice (once when I got it and once since) and its held up well thus far with no issues. I think this originated around the mid 90s.

Usefulness: 5/5
60w of tube power is fine for playing out live and it doesn't make your ears bleed to get a good sound while practicing. If something ever happens to this one I'd hunt down another one the best I could because I love the thing especially with how cheap they are.

Overall Value: 5/5
Perfect amp for someone who wants the sound of a rectifier/triple XXX and cannot afford one like myself. Sounds wonderful. If you ever find a used Ultra 60, Ultra 120, or Ultra Plus, do yourself a favor and pick it up. They're dirt cheap most places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU