Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Yamaha FGX-04 LTD Acoustic Guitar
Price Paid:$400.00 with gig bag
Year Manufactured:2005 most likely

Specs:

* Solid Engelmann spruce top
* Rosewood back, sides, and fretboard
* System 46 preamp
* Piezo pickup
* Cream body and fingerboard binding
* Abalone soundhole inlay
* Mother-of-pearl headstock logo
* Chrome tuners

Sound: 5/5

The one thing that really stood out with this guitar (besides its nice appearance) is the sound. I put a set of Extra light gauge Elixirs on this guitar recently and it sounds simply amazing. It projects really well, and has a nice warm, full sound to it. It certainly doesn't lack brightness either. It sounds just as good as some ~$1000 Taylors and Martins I tryed out with the Elixirs on it.

Instrument Quality: 5/5

When I picked up this guitar, it had no price tag on it. Before trying this guitar out, I had played about a half dozen other guitars in the 350-450 dollar range(what I planned on spending) and couldn't find anything I liked. I noticed this Yamaha hanging up and it caught my eye, so I figured I'd check it out. I played it for about 10 minutes and I wanted to just put it down because I figured it'd be 600-700 dollars. I asked about it and the guy said it was $400, and that he just put that one out today. It was a no brainer to buy it. The neck binding is flawless and very well done. The neck has a satin finish and it's really smooth. I tryed some Ibanez, Fender and Takamine guitars in this price range and they all had glossy finishes on the neck, and just weren't as nice to the touch as this one.

I don't have much experience with acoustic electrics, but I have no problems with the pickup/EQ system in this guitar. It's a standard Volume + Bass/Mid/High setup with an extra "Adjustable Midrange Frequency" slider. It sounds great plugged in, and is perfect for recording. I do wish it had a built in tuner though.

Playability: 5/5

The FGX-04 came with normal gauge strings, and I did find the action a little tough when doing complicated chords. I don't have the greatest finger strength, so I put the extra light Elixirs on. It made a big difference, and its a lot easier to play now. I gave this a 5/5 because in this price range, this guitar is really in a class of its own. I couldn't find any guitars even under $600 that play like this one, and stay in tune as good as it either.

Overall Value: 5/5

Like I said about 2384234 times in this review, this guitar plays just as good as guitars double its price. A lot of Harmony-Central reviewers note that they were able to talk down the price at Guitar center to less then $350. If you're looking for an acoustic around this price range, you owe it to yourself to check this Yamaha out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU