Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

ESP LTD B-255
Price: $1500 AUD
Price Paid: $1200 AUD
Year: 2004
Specs:
Neck-thru construction
Body: Agathis with a flamed maple top
Neck: Maple/walnut
Inlays: Dots with model name at 12th Fret
Pickups: EMG 40-HZ set
Electronics: Volume, balance, EMG B64 active EQ
Hardware: Greyish silvery colour
Bridge: ESP BB-105 string-thru-body
Frets: 24 Extra Jumbo

Sound: 4/5: This bass sounds great, it has a load of sustain and a great tone which is entirely customisable on the fly due to the 3-band active EQ built into the bass. However, it's a slightly flatter sounding bass, which I find is great for metal and punk, but it lacks for blues and jazz.

Quality: 5/5: This instrument has had alot of thought put into it, it's well balanced, the quilted top looks absolutely divine under any light. The frets are large, and the markers on the top of the board are easily seen if you're learning a song. Action is a little low on this model though, the B string can and will buzz if you are playing too hard on it.

Playability: 4/5: I purchased this bass off the rack so it came pre balanced and tuned for me, the neck is perfectly straight. The neck is a little sticky due to the finish, but it really trains you not to use your thumb as a clamp on the back of the neck. The packed in strings were awful though, I reccomend replacing your strings as soon as possible. Action is very low for a 5 string bass, and very easily playable with minimum effort. Neck is no thicker than similar models from ESP, but may be thick for those used to Fender or Samick instruments.

Overall Value: 5/5 This was my second bass, replacing a Samick 4 string I had been using for a couple years that had a huge action. I would pay the same price over again for this bass, it is most versatile if you stay out of blues.

Final notes: Do not under any circumstances play this instrument with your fingers, it sounds very flat and horrible. Good slapping and picking guitar, fingerpicking will lead to the death of any tone you had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU