Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnafides
Feb 7, 2004
I love molesting 8 year old girls, their tiny little hands make my cock look huge
Title of Instrument: Yamaha DTXTREME IIS Electronic Drumkit
Price Paid / Price New: $2000/$2600 (thanks RivensBitch!)
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs: N/A

Sound: 4.5/5. Unlike the Roland V-Drums which use sound modeling algorithms all of the sounds on this kit are sampled. This produces very realistic sounds, and the the preset kits are quite good. My only gripe is the open hi-hat sound, I just can't find one that I like. If I experiment with layering I can probably create a pretty good one.

I've recorded a sample of me playing along to a section of a fan-created remake of Dream Theater's Dance of Eternity. I apologize in advance for the bad mixing and somewhat sloppy playing:

Instrument Quality: 5/5. It's Yamaha. They're known for excellent quality instruments, and this is no exception. The stands and mounts are the same ones you'd find on an acoustic kit, and the rack is light but sturdy. Take a look for yourself:
Click here \m/

Playability: 4.25/5. Both the cymbals and pads feel great, despite being rubber. They feel much more real than the mesh, while still maintaining a nice soft feel. Two things that could be better: Even though it is better than most electronic kits, the hi-hat feel isn't that great. The fact that you get a real hi-hat stand is nice, but the pad remains stationary meaning you get the same feel for an open and closed hi-hat. Also the kick-pad is so light it will come off the ground a little if you're trying to do sustained 16th notes via double-bass (there are spurs, but they only prevent sliding forward). I'm going to try using more velcro (there's one strip on the bottom already).

Overall Value: 4.75/5. Play this kit, and then go play the Roland V-Tour (which actually costs about $100 more). There is NO comparison. For the money you can't beat the Yamaha. Aside from the minor problems I mentioned, I love everything about this kit. If you're in the market, you owe yourself to give it a try.

magnafides fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 12, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnafides
Feb 7, 2004
I love molesting 8 year old girls, their tiny little hands make my cock look huge
Can a mod delete this please?