Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkinClassZero
Feb 13, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Vintage Electro-Harmonix Small Stone

Price payed: $40, blue book for around $40-$80
Year manufactured: The CTS pot dates to the 3rd week of 1976

Specs:
-One color switch, only works in down position at the moment.
-One rate knob.

Sound:4/5
I'm not a big fan of phasers but I needed something to add depth to my E-H POG, and my coworker just happened to have an old Small Stone that he was tired of looking at. I was very suprised to find out how much better it sounded than the reissues. Very smooth and warm sounding, not too overpowering. It helped give my POG that organ sound so it pretty much did all that I wanted it to do.

Quality:3/5
I wouldn't run it over with a truck but for an almost 30 year old pedal it has held up quite well. Even though the color switch only works in one position it is most likely a minor repair.

Usefullness:4/5
When I use it I don't want to vomit, so in that respect it pretty much beats out any Boss phasers.

Overall Value:4/5
A great addition to my effects chain. Wouldn't hesitate to use it live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkinClassZero
Feb 13, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal
Price: $125, retail for $179
Year (Purchased): 2005
Specs:
  • 1 tone control
  • 1 volume control
  • 1 gain control
  • 1 2-position switch to go from British to American style gain

Sound: 4/5
This just might be the holy grail of overdrive pedals. My first test was a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop RI through a mid 70s' Marshall JMP Plexi with matching 4x12. I had the Plexi on the edge of overdrive and when I kicked in the OCD it was instant classic crunch. Messing with the knobs, I could get everything from a bright boost to dark distortion. In a way, is very much like the Z. Vex Fuzz Factory as you can taylor it to be your own sound. The 2-way toggle allows you to have a Marshall/Vox tint in the HP setting and in LP it retains more of the characteristics of your amp and guitar.

The second test was the same Les Paul into a Marshall DSL100 full stack. While sounding different it still retained the delicious harmonics. After more fiddling with the knobs I was still getting great sounding settings. Customers were stopping by to see what the hell was sounding so good.

Finally, the last test was my home rig. A mid 70s Gibson S-1 with a Bill Lawrence XL-500 in the bridge into a early production Musicman 65 with a Sonic 4x10 cab. A little bit tighter sounding but missing some of the low end crunch that I get when I spill the pre-amp into the master. Still, chords were well defined and leads were warm.

Quality: 5/5
A plain white box with 4 controls, simple and effective. the knobs are very smooth and it doesn't make any horrible sounds when turning it on or off. built like a tank you would never send to war.

Usefullness:5/5
I don't think I'll ever need another overdrive pedal unless Fulltone makes a bigger brother.

Overall Value: 4/5
For the money, it beats out all the other offerings from Boss, Frantone, Electro-Harmonix, and all the other hole in the wall boutique companies. I compared it to a Menatone Howie (a $225 boutique overdrive) and while the Howie did sound good, it's tonal landscape was limited and it lacked the harmonics of the OCD.

Now if Mike Fuller was less of a jerk, then we'd have something.