Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizarroeric
Feb 16, 2004

We still got that poacher? Where's the poacher? I make good eggs!
Taylor 214 Acoustic guitar
Price Paid / Price New: $700/$1089 (includes case)
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs:
- 6 string acoustic guitar; Taylor's lowest priced solid wood guitar
- satin finish
- Grand Auditorium body
- Spruce top, Sapele sides

Sound: 4.5/5
I can't believe how good this sounds for how little I paid. It's a very well balanced sound, has bass when you need it, but tends to lean more towards the treble in terms of what it accentuates. It's awesome for fingerpicking, has great ringing on single notes, but will start to muddy if you strum it too hard. I have a pretty full strum, so I just use thinner picks to combat this--it seems to help. Overall, it sounds better than some guitars I've played costing twice as much.

Instrument Quality: 4.5/5
Taylor built this thing solid; it feels light, but it's got way above average fittings. Of course, the whole thing was cut by computer guided equipment. The finish is nice, not having a gloss top took a minute to get used to but when you're looking at it from the front you can't even tell. My only gripe so far is that the grain of the Mahogany neck feels a bit gritty. There's all kinds of natural divots in the wood that the finish doesn't cover over, but even this isn't that big of a deal and it doesn't affect my playing at all.

Playbility: 5/5
This is the first guitar I've ever brought home that I haven't spent a single minute setting up. It played exactly the way I wanted it to straight out of the box and I've had no trouble with it thus far. I love the low action on Taylors, and this one is no different. The ebony fingerboard is smooth and the frets are well set, and it often appears when I'm playing that the guitar knows when I want to stop during a slide. It plays like every other full-bodied Taylor I've ever played. I compared this directly to the 414 and 714 and found few differences in the smoothness of the neck.

Overall Value: 5/5
This is one of the best guitar values out there. I didn't need the hardshell case so I walked out of the store having paid $700 tax included for it. I could very easily have bought some crap Korean acoustic with all laminate body and have paid the same amount. Instead, I got a solid-wood American built guitar that looks and plays like anything else you'd expect from the company for hundreds less than the next model up. Amazing value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU