Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Presonus TubePre Preamp
Price Paid / Price New: $99
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs This is a small single channel preamp with a VU meter. It can be used with a microphone or an instrument. It has one XLR input, one 1/4" input, one XLR output, and one unballanced 1/4" output.

On the front pannel it has:

Phantom Power Switch (+48v) (For powering condensor mics)
Phase Reverse Switch (Inverting the polarity of the XLR connector)
Drive Control (0 to 20 db)
-20db Pad
Gain Control (0 to 40db)
80khz filter
and the VU Meter

Sound (or applicable): 4/5. - I bought this preamp in order to record only acoustic tracks, bass, and vocals (if needed). I have used it on acoustic and bass, and it has made it sound amazing. When I turn the drive and gain up, I do get some hissing, but I think that's from my cheap SBLive! card. I will come edit this once I get a new card. This has helped my acoustic recording, and I love it. I highly suggest it to anyone.

Equipment Quality: 5/5 - Highly durable. Possible to put into a rack, strong, solid, and I'm sure it can withstand a little beating.

Usefullness: 5/5 - If you want to record, you must have a preamp! It's as simple as that.

Overall Value: 4/5 - The most bang for your buck, right here. It's super cheap and does the job. It does the job well, in fact. I can't really add anything except for the fact that I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Carvin Cobalt C850 Acoustic/Electric
Price: $569 + $59 for a case, and shipping
Year: 2005
Specs:
  • AA Solid Spruce Top
  • Rosewood back and sides.
  • Satin Neck Finish
  • Cutaway body
  • Fishman Matrix Pickup
  • Fishman Prefix Plus Preamp
Sound: 3.5/5
When I got the guitar, I instantly started playing it. I noticed the wonderful acoustic sound that it has, as well as the nice lack of fret buzz, like my previous Fender Acoustic. Although I was not in total shock of how amazing the guitar sounded, I was quite happy. Upon plugging it in, I realized why this guitar is a gem. The Fishman sounds loving amazing. I fell in love with the guitar after plugging it in.

Instrument Quality: 4/5
This is a rock solid guitar. It doesn't feel weak at all. It feels like I could beat someone over the head with it then stop to play some some chilled acoustic tune and the guitar couldn't sound better. The tuning pegs are high quality and have a high ratio when changing pitch. This makes for the most accurate tune possible. There isn't anything about this instrument that is not of superb quality.

Playbility:4/5
The guitar feels great, it plays well. Reaching the upper frets is simple with the cut away, playing chords with out buzzing is very easy. The list could go on and on; the guitar plays great.

Overall Value: 4/5
Great guitar. I'd suggest it to anyone. Sounds great, feels great, looks ugly as sin (;)) but I don't care about the looks. I highly suggest and think it's worth every penny.