Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is the Yamaha F310 going to be a good purchase for me to start learning acoustic guitar with?

http://www.hobgoblin.com/products/YA5231.htm

Reviews say that it's large/jumbo - which I assume means the frets, is that good for a beginner? The other alternative that I'd been made aware of was the Yamaha C40 - it seems to be much smaller and labelled as 'classical', when my interest lies in soft rock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-classical-guitar-Basic-Pack/dp/B000I1Q4S8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dean Z bass

I’ve been a big fan of explorer shapes since I was a kid and it is my dream one day to own an explorer that I enjoy playing – unfortunately to date every explorer shape I’ve put my hands on feels like I’m fighting with a boat anchor: heavy with a waist causing the guitar to slide towards my picking hand and generally oversized to dig in to my chest and the inside of my arm. Did the Dean Z bass buck that trend, with it’s fiendish good looks and ergonomic lauding?

In a word, no.

The main issue with the bass, and explorers in general is the way that it forces your body position, see a comparison of my p-bass and the z-bass below:

Despite a very similar neck angle, the Dean gets in the way of my forearm. There is no way to angle the neck higher in order to bring the neck closer to me, so I must stretch my arm out and hold it up in mid air in order to reach the lower frets. My wrist position isn’t particulary good in those photos, but is somewhat of a moot point. If the guitar strap is placed infront of the guitar’s wing, then it somewhat avoids the hilarious neck-dive – but if not then it’s pretty well evident.

Sound wise, the EMG humbuckers provide a very even tone – there is little noise and because of their huge dynamic range they don’t have a signature sound. It is super transparent. Looking at the waveform for a recording I made, they are much more consistent in volume even with equal compression between the Squier above and the Dean: https://clyp.it/p0y212ub

Comparing roundwounds on active pickups to flats on a p-bass isn’t really all that fair if we are going to talk about presence and response, but the Dean does definitely have something you can turn on and know what to hear, whereas something like the p-bass can very alot more depending on where your fingers are, how hard you’re plucking, whether you’re on an open string or a fretted note, etc.

It does look freaking bad-rear end though, and I cannot help but think that is entirely the reason for the existence of this instrument: unfortunately unlike the Ibanez SR-series it is not particularly comfortable, sounds pretty average and doesn’t have any defining features to put it above the glut of mid-priced bass guitars out there.