Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung_fu_grip
Jul 12, 2004
Quoting because it's the same piece of equip, but my review is different.

quote:

Jimferd came out of the closet to say:
Fender Champion 30
Price Paid:$120
Year Manufactured: 2002
Specs:
  • Solid State
  • 30 watts into 8 ohms
  • 1-10" Fender Special Design 8 ohm Speaker
  • DSP Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flange, Tremolo, Vibratone
  • Independent Volume Controls in Each Channel
  • Front Panel Footswitch Jack (for Remote Drive Select, footswitch not included)
  • Headphone Jack
  • Fender's "Smooth Clipping" Circuit Designed to Simulate Tube Distortion
  • Jewel Pilot Light
  • IEC Grounding Type Power Supply Cord
  • Black Textured Vinyl with Silver Grille Cloth
  • 25 lbs.
  • 15.5" H x 17" W x 8.25" D

Sound: 3/5
Clean sound is very good. Distorted channel is hella bright. Painfully bright. Even with the treble dialed in at 1, it's still bright, as if the dial doesn't work, (but it does on the clean channel, so I know it aint broke.) Doesn't possess that full Fender tone, but it's mighty good in a pinch.

Equipment Quality: 4/5
Wonderful quality. Sturdy, and won't break if you drop it. Cord unplugs from the amp for better transportation.

Usefullness: 5/5
My backup amp, I've used it to record some songs, used it at a couple gigs.

Overall Value: Example 5/5
Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung_fu_grip
Jul 12, 2004
Title of Instrument OLP Stingray 5-String Bass
Price Paid / Price New: $139/$249
Year Manufactured: 2003
Specs: Instrument's Specifications
- 5 String Bass made just like the Music Man Stingray, except it's a lot cheaper, in price and manufacturing.
- Single humbucker pickup
- two volume knobs and a tone knob
- pretty black finish

Sound: 3.5/5
It sounds very much like the real thing, to me. I don't own the real thing, so I'm comparing it to tone on records/radio where I know those folks are playing a REAL Stingray. It's got the Stingray tone. There IS the bad grounding issue, where, if you take your hands off the bass, there's some buzzing, but it's not too bad.

Instrument Quality: 2/5
I'm starting to be bummed by the quality. I've had it for 6 months and recorded with it last week, and noticed that the neck is starting to warp/twist like a strand of DNA. Not REALLY bad yet, except the high string is way up off the neck now. I will try to mess with the truss rod, but I doubt it will help.

Playbility: 5/5 new, 2/5 now.
When I opened the box (mail order) I was very pleased with my wise purchase. The bass played great, had good action, and did what I wanted from a bass that might cost upwards of $600 to get. Whoever set the bass up did a decent enough job. HOWEVER, 6 months later, the neck is going bad. (which is why i'm writing this review). The bass still sounds great, if I could just get the neck to behave.

Overall Value: 4/5.
The bass was certainly worth the $139 I dropped on it. I wanted to get a 5-string Sting Ray and see if I liked it. Rather than blow the $800 for a used one that I may end up not liking, I saved the money and got this one. I might go try to replace the neck now, or what the hell go buy a real one. This is definitely a great starter bass, and hopefully not all necks get the herp like this one, (stored in a humid basement, just moved houses, so, who knows why the neck is freaked).

kung_fu_grip
Jul 12, 2004
Variax 500

Price Paid / Price New: $700/$900 (it had a ding on the back).

Year: 2004

Specs: The digital modelling electric guitar, or whatever they call it. It can sound like 50 different guitars, from Les Paul, Strat, to Banjo or Sitar.

Sound: 4/5. It sounds like those guitars, but not just like them.

Instrument Quality: 3/5. Being realistic here. The quality is great for a $700 guitar that sounds like 50 different guitars, but it's no Les Paul Special or PRS. For the money, it's decent.

Playbility: 4/5. I've read negative things about the guitar, but it plays just as well as my USA Tele, USA Strat, etc. I like it. It's light but the neck is decent.

Overall Value: 5/5 Hell yeah it was worth it. This guitar has had an uphill battle with guitarists everywhere. It has no street cred, and people laugh when you break it out at a gig. And then you play it, and they hear it, and they shut up.

Honestly, it sounds good enough in a live situation, and all I'm after is some more options tonally. I'm not looking to sound just like Jimmy Page or Stevie Ray Vaughan. This guitar provides a wide range of tonal options, the guitars do sound like the ones they're supposed to. But it does take some getting used to... for instance, they've matched the output volume of each type of guitar, so the Les Paul is much louder than the Telecaster. Why? So when you're setting up your amp, the tone will end up similar to if you were really playing a les paul.

I think it's best summed up like this - the sounds are more like a decent Mexi Fender or Epiphone, the playability is great... so instead of buying 10 Mexi Fenders and Ephiphones, just buy this one guitar and you'll be happy. BUT, if you want to play a real Les Paul, then, no, this is not the guitar for you.

Reviewing a Piece of Equipment
This guitar has no regular pickups. It has a piezo that then translates the tone into whatever selection you make. What does that mean? NO HUM. Period, no matter which guitar you select. It behaves pretty much just like a regular guitar - feedback, volume knob and tone knobs, etc. Honestly, it's a great guitar to have. I haven't touched a 300 (the budget version) but honestly, don't cheap out THAT much on something like this, unless you're planning to just put the guts inside of another guitar. It can be done. I haven't tried, but some folks are doing it.