Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004
Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express
Price Paid/Price New: $800 / ~$1,200
Year Manufactured: 2008
Features:

• Duo-Class™ Power Amp (Patent 7,173,488) allows you to select either: 1 power tube in pure Class A (single-ended) producing 5 Watts or switching to 2 power tubes in Class A/B to produce 25 Watts via a 5/25 Power Switch / 2xEL84 & 5x12AX7
• 2 Fully Independent Channels with 4 Style Modes (Channel 1 = Clean or Crunch, Channel 2 = Blues or Burn)
• Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Reverb, Master and Contour Controls per Channel
• Footswitchable Variable Contour Control on each channel provides the power of our 5-band graphic EQ all from 1 rotary control
• All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb
• All-Tube FX Loop External Switching Jacks for Channel 1/2, Contour 1, Contour 2, Reverb
• 3 Button Footswitch (Channel 1/2, Reverb & Contour)
• Slip Cover

Sound: 5/5
I listened to one at a Mesa dealer and fell in love with it's beautiful tones...but when I first got this amp home, I was sorely disappointed, I had bought it second hand, it was in perfect condition except the voicing switches letting (blues/burn : clean/crunch) are kind of worn. When I cranked it up and played on crunch or burn it would rattle heavily. This got pretty annoying, so the next day I took it to Nashville Amp and they told me it was a tube problem, and the fine tuned it, equalized it's tube currents and cooked it up with 4 new tubes (two power EL-84s and two 12AX7 tubes. I finally got it back from a repair bill which ended up costing me about $70 (since the guy I bought it from paid half...it was $140). It was well worth that extra 70 bucks though, the amp sounds infinitely better than the one at the Mesa dealer I fell for. The clean tones are to die for, sounds like you're listening to a mastered recording.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
The amp has a solid steel frame with high quality wood, the speaker is great, all the wires are tucked and are are clean. All but 4 tubes are now brand new, so they are in excellent condition. The amp can switch between 30 (not 25) watt and 5 watt, which makes it great for recording, practice or shows.

Overall Value: 5/5
I got this amp for a steal on ebay, I didn't have to pay shipping or taxes because it was a local pick up. I had to spend an extra 70 bucks to fix it up from it's previous owner...but again, it was well worth it. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I use on it most of the time, have used a Fender Strat and a PRS and all sound fantastic on the beast of an amp. You may write it off as a low wattage amp, but when you switch it to push/pull configuration, you had better have ear plugs handy, it is louder than any solid state 100 watt amp I've ever used. Even in the 5 watt will have the neighbors complaining. It doesn't have as much gain as a rectifier, but it definitely has that feel and comes pretty close. For the price, even 1200 it's well worth the price. You can hook up two more cabs to it if you are going to play a big show and don't mic. I'd recommend it mostly for studio...but it's so small it is great for shows as well (it looks light, but it is quite heavy with it's steel frame).

partiallypro fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU