Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A16
Aug 20, 2004
Der Metzgermeister
ESP LTD KH-202 Kirk Hammett Signature

Price Paid / Price New: $449.99
Year Manufactuered: N/A
Specs:
- 25.5" scale
- Basswood body
- Maple neck with rosewood fretboard
- Skull & Crossbones inlay
- EMG-HZ H-4 passive pickup
- Floyd Rose Licensed tremolo
- 24 extra-jumbo frets

Sound: 4.5/5
This guitar sounds awesome, especially if you're into playing heavy metal like Rammstein or Metallica. Clean and crispy. However, getting the best sound always requires a nice amp (or preamp) or a sound processor (effect pedal). And also, I had in mind a bit more distortion that it gave me (the H-4 passive pickup).

Instrument Quality: 5/5
No competition on this one. Very, very nicely-built guitar. Skull & Crossbone inlay, with the Floyd Rose licensed tremolo that keeps your strings from going out of tune.

Playability: 5/5
Definitely a must if you play rock/heavy metal songs. The only tricky thing about this guitar is the stringing process. Since ESP do not issue instruction manuals, you have to figure it out yourself. But after some practice, I think I got a grip of it.

Overall Value: 5/5
This guitar rarely goes out of tune, always delivers the best sound (very rich Drop-D riffs) I could expect (even more if I tweak with the effects). The model above this is the KH-2. That costs $1,800. The only difference is that it's got the EMG 81 ACTIVE pickup set (requires battery). You can get 2 EMG 81 pickups yourself for $200, including instruction manual. I think it's well worth the price. This model is very close to a top-end guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A16
Aug 20, 2004
Der Metzgermeister
Digitech RP-200A Modelling Guitar Processor w/ Artist Presets

Price Paid / Price New: $149.99
Year Manufactuered: N/A
Specs:
- 40 artists presets
- 11 effects at once (wah, pickup modeling, compression, cabinet, amp modeling, noise gate, effects, delay, reverb, expression)
- Drum machine
- Jam-A-Long TM input, stereo output
- Power supply included
- Built-in Expression Pedal

Sound: 4/5
So far, the only things that disappoint me if the distortion and the crybaby wah. It seems there's not enough distortion in any of the amp modeling section, and the crybaby wah sounds really artificial (it even gives you a weird sound without pressing down the pedal). But other than that, it's a pretty good pedal. You can store/customize your own settings, so you can have an instant Drop C sound or C# tuning without re-tuning your guitar, or you could have the guitar sound interchange between acoustic and distortion via the Expression Pedal. The Whammy effect is also really fun to play with (especially in the song Herzeleid, by Rammstein). There are a lot more effects, could be proven to be useful sometimes; such as the Auto Wah, Ya Ya effect, chorus, tremolo, pitch shifter..etc). The noise gate setting on this pedal is absolutely awesome. It filters out random noise made by your hand or the "static" you hear in your speakers.

Equipment Quality: 4.5/5
A well-built effect pedal/sound processor. The only thing that sometimes bothers me that the Expression Pedal squeaks noise after a while. But all you have to do is to add some oil underneath, and the squeaking goes away.

Usefulness: 5/5
The noise gate alone is SO useful. Drop C, C# tuning with tap of a button. However there is a learning curve. I'd say from 15 minutes to understand how it works, to an hour to know what everything are. For example, if you turn on the Crybaby Wah effect on the top section, you also have to turn on the Expression Pedal for it (on the bottom of the screen), or else it will not function right.

$150 for a multi-functional sound processor. A VERY bargaining price. A must for beginners or people tight on the money.

A16
Aug 20, 2004
Der Metzgermeister
Marshall MG30DFX

Price Paid / Price New: $249.99
Year Manufactured: N/A
Specs:
- Twin footswitchable channels - Clean & Overdrive
- Independent tone controls for Bass & Treble on each channel
- Contour Control for dramatic mid sweep and 'scooping'
- Emulated Line Out jack and Headphone jack
- CD input which allows you to play along to your favourite discs
- Built-in Digital Effects - Reverb, Chorus, Flange and Delay
- 10" custom-voiced speaker
- FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping)

Sound: 5/5
Top sound for a 30 watt amplifier. Tweaking with the gain, contour, treble level gives you all sorts of sound you could utilize. It also has a few effects, such as chorus, reverb, delay, and a level knob next to it.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
This thing is pretty big. A little handle on the top. I always sit on top of it when I play (maybe it's not the best thing to do, but just to prove it's pretty strong). It's pretty heavy duty too.

Usefulness: 5/5
Definitely useful if you plan to play guitar in your room, in a small party, or just to jam along with your friends. Or if you just plan to annoy the hell out of whoever, just beam up the volume and strum once.

Marshall makes very nice speakers. At an affordable price.