Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
OP-1 day 4 review
I am not a musician, let's make that clear. I played saxophone poorly for 9 years in school, and I like to mess around with guitars and things that go beep boop, but it's a lot more "playing with noise" than "making music", per se.

That out of the way, the OP-1 is definitely one of the weirder and cooler things in my arsenal (0coast, mother32, KP3, beatstep, tape deck, assorted turntables and mixers and keyboards, Electribe drums).

It really wants to steer you to a particular set of use paradigms, which is fine with me because two things I was looking for were "polyphonic synth" and "4-track tape recorder" and this does an approximation of both reasonably well, on top of the sampling and sequencing capabilities. The degree of energy invested in making the "tape" experience "tape like" is one of the stranger pieces of implementation I've seen. It works well, it becomes intuitive pretty fast, and some pretty hardcore limitations were explicitly implemented to make it "feel like tape", which is hilarious to me but not a problem.

The battery life seems good, the integral speaker is a joke but being able to just grab headphones and a mic and go off into the woods and record birds and poo poo and then sequence them and then overlay synth tracks on it is loving sweet and makes me wish I could quit my day job and just go gently caress with nature sounds full time like the weird spooks in Upstream Color.

They really took the "obscure interfaces" thing to new heights, too

I feel like learning this thing is going to be similar to learning VIM except there are even more cheat sheets and they're longer.

My older kid refuses to believe it's not a toy because it kinda fuckin looks like one. I told her she can pound the gently caress out of the midi keyboard but for the love of god go gentle on this one :grimace:

petit choux posted:

Can anybody here give me a good advice on which USB/MIDI convertor box to get? I just learned that they are now a thing. I'm looking at the Kenton, the DoReMIDI and the MIDIPro RN.

Haha I cam here to make my (I think) first ever post in this forum, but I can actually say something about this. I specifically want one for the OP-1; lots of people use the Kenton, people with access to UK shops often prefer the RK005 (https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk005/)

I ended up ordering this DoReMIDI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZY59B7 because several OP-1 users said it was fine for their use cases and $50 is easier to part with than $150. Synth engines on the OP-1 are good enough that I'd like to connect a 49 or 81 key to it; also interested in chaining to beatstep.

It's funny to me to be going to effort to chain weird poo poo into a thing designed to be an AOI solution, but, c'mon. "Wiring weird poo poo into an OP-1" is like 2/3 the posts in /r/op1users :allears:

edit: Can confirm the $50 dore works plug and play to connect an OP-1 and an axiom keyboard.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Wow this thread has barely moved, meanwhile TE quality control sucks, the OP-1 was deemed unfixable because of a fucky audio port and my cash was refunded, and after hemming and hawing, instead of getting another one I got a Hydrasynth 49 key that I am quite happy with and seem to be actually learning some stuff about signal paths and synthesis with.