Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Carvin C780 Acoustic-Electric

Price: $499 + $58 for hardshell case.
Year: 2005
Specs:
  • Jumbo body with cutaway
  • AA solid Spruce top
  • Mahogany back & sides
  • Satin finish neck
  • High gloss body
  • Fishman Matrix pickup
  • Fishman Prefix Plus
  • Body: 20" long x 16.25" wide
Sound: 5/5
I wish I had a Martin or Taylor handy to see what people are constantly comparing this guitar to in reviews, but as one of the only guitars I have ever bought new, I am pleased. A deep resonant tone is indicative of the jumbo-style bass soundboard and comperably sized tenor. A deep sustain could be alot of the stock Elixer strings speaking, but I am pretty sure it has to do with the guitar's quality. Plugged in the Fishman is what I have come to expect from Fishman; playing through a Fishman setup for over two years now on my Ibanez, I can see reproduced presence in every note.

Instrument Quality: 5/5
It has been three days since I have gotten this guitar in the mail, and am constantly testing the intonation. Not a flaw has been found and everything else is in accordance - a straight neck, low action, tuned out of the box (slightly down given the temperature difference in California and Michigan). Came with a cable, pick, pickguard (self adhesive so the owner may place it on the guitar at will), alan key, among other paperwork. The satin finish really accents the tonal and visual quailty this guitar already exhibits - A+.

Playability:4/5
Only rated a 4 on my initial use, will (definately) probably go up after a few months use. The abalone inlay makes the fingerboard markings hard to notice, and as a result yields a bit of confusion on first picking up the guitar. Couple this with the lower than average action on the guitar, and it may throw many people who pick up a Carvin for the first time. Talk to me in a month and I am certain the 4/5 rating will seem ludicrous.

Overall Value: 5/5
I have never spent more than $200 on any guitar. Take my review with a grain of salt, as I have yet to debut this bad boy at tomorrows jam at the local bar. I am absolutely happy with the guitar and look forward to playing it seriously for years to come. A solid six string, with great pickups and tone out of the box. Add in the action, look, and overall quality that Carvin has exuded over the years and there is much to look forward to from a similar purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

19 o'clock posted:

Review from 2005.
Carvin C780 Acoustic-Electric

Just jumped in this thread for the first time in years and saw my review from 6 years ago (!!). An update on this guitar is that it has more than earned it's price tag back. Indestructible. Have done numerous bar and cruise ship shows with this guitar and recently replaced it with a C980 by Carvin. Review is forthcoming...