Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Korg Toneworks AX10B Modeling Signal Processor
Price Paid / Price New: Example: $AUD169 (RRP $299)
Year Manufactured: 2005

Information at Korg.com

Specs: (taken and edited from Korg's website)
• 11 guitar/bass amp models
• 11 modulation effects (chorus/flanger/phaser etc) and 11 ambience effects (echo/room/hall reverb)
• 3 main settings - compression, distortion, octaver
• 40 preset programs & 40 user-editable programs
• Alternate AX10G for guitar
• Expression pedal, to adjust user-controlled aspect of the signal
• Knob-based interface & simple display panel layout
• Tap switch for easy setting of delay/reverb time
• AMP/LINE select switch for connection to amp, mixer, MTR, or any other destination
• Built-in chromatic tuner with mute function
• Dimensions: 11.3”(W)7.17”(D)x 2.36”(H) / 287(W) x 182 (D) x 60(H)mm
• Weight: 1.1kg / 2.43lbs
• “Program Lock Hold” function eliminates accidental knob turning during on-stage use
• Runs on battery or AC adapter

Sound: 4/5

You can quite easily spend hours on this thing trying to create a sound that's just right for you. Once you get past the (pretty short) learning curve, you'll get quickly used to the different types of amps and effects, and combining them with the EQ gives you quite a range of freedom. Even playing it through my average 40W amp which generally has horrible tone makes it sound great.

The downside? The distortion setting doesn't give me quite what I'm looking for; I may just resort to my crappy Behringer standalone distortion pedal if I can't get the sound I want from this board.

Equipment Quality: 4.5/5

My only fault is with the expression pedal. On some settings, it only has about five or sex intervals as you go from the min to the max setting, which can be pretty discernible at times. Otherwise, the knobs and dials are pretty easy to use, and everything you adjust shows up on the main display (the EQ and most of the effects dials range from 0 to 30). The chromatic tuner is functional, although it only uses the three LEDs on the left hand side so it can take a while to tune compared to your typical rack or pedal tuner. Still, it's nice to have (almost) everything you need in one package, so it wins out in versatility.

Usefulness: 4/5

I'm sure this will pass in a week or two, but I'm quite overwhelmed with the amount of variance and fiddling around with every aspect of the signal - advanced effects users will love being able to nitpick. I find myself changing the modulation dial and almost ignoring the ambience effects, and there is very little noticable difference between some of them - Korg might as well have had four or five ambience effects and you'd still have the same range of sounds. Still, it saves having to buy four or five standalone effects pedals.

Overall Value: 5/5

I've already set up a few of the programs for specific songs I play, and I don't think I'll ever be able to use up all the available presets. The programming aspect takes a little while to get used to, but just like everything on the AX10B, the learning curve doesn't take too long to get over. Price-wise, most music stores sell it for around $200 so don't buy it if it's more than that. It's saved me buying a bunch of other random effects and once I get used to all the types of effects it'll pay off.

In short - a dream for amateurs who are just trying to play with new sounds, but pro players will need a higher-end board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU