Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonnyfish
Oct 20, 2004

'ow's she cuttin' t'day skipper
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Price Paid: $800 Canadian (~$560 US)
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs Taken from http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0213202
  • 40 watts
  • 1 x 12” 8 Ohm Fender Special Design Eminence speaker
  • 18.75” H x 23.5” W x 10.5” D
  • 45 lbs.
  • Three selectable channels (Normal, Drive and More Drive)
  • Gain and Master controls in Drive channel
  • Bright switch in Normal channel
  • FX loop
  • Fender long spring Reverb
  • Two 6L6 Groove Tube output tubes
  • Three 12AX7 preamp tubes
  • External speaker jack
  • Two-button Three-function footswitch for Channel select, Drive/More Drive select
  • Chrome panel with vintage pointer knobs
  • Internal Variable Bias control
  • Black textured vinyl with silver grille cloth
  • Cover included

Sound (or applicable): 5/5
The amp produces some of the most beautiful tones I've ever heard. The clean channel is about as "bluesy" as they come, and if you're willing to really drive it you can get it to distort naturally in the way that only tubes can. The drive channel, though, is what I love so much about this amp. I mostly play blues and classic rock, and this amp is absolutely perfect for those styles. It's possible to get a meaner metal sound out of the "more drive" channel, but if metal is your primary interest, then this amp probably wouldn't be the best choice.

Equipment Quality: 5/5
This amp is very well built, looks great, and it can really take a beating.

Usefullness: 5/5
I can always get the sound that I'm looking for. The reverb is nice to have but it could be a little better. I've not personally played any gigs with this amp, but it is more than adequate for jam sessions (and in my own experience, this is an understatement--I've never had to put the volume any higher than 2 or 3 to be heard over drums and bass). I do know one Deluxe owner who regularly played gigs with this model, and when he finally decided that it needed a little more punch he added an extra speaker and closed the back of the case.

Overall Value: 5/5
I love this amp. The vast majority of amps that I've seen in this price range are solid state, and quite honestly I don't think there's any comparison between solid state and tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU