Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!
Alesis Micron
Price Paid / Price New: AUD $400 / $1000
Year Manufactured: 2007

Specifications:
Synthesis: analog modeling (subtractive), noise generator, FM
Polyphony: up to 8 voices
Timbrality: up to 8 parts
Oscillators: 3 per voice with continuously variable waveshapes, sync, linear and exponential FM, Ring Mod, routable modulation matrix per voice.
Filters: 2 multi-mode resonating filters per voice with 16 filter types
Modulation: 2 LFOs with multiple wave shapes, sample and hold, tracking generator, freely routable modulation matrix per voice
Effects: 4 drive effects, 1 per part; master effects
Sequencing: step sequencer, arpeggiator, drum machine/rhythm sequencer, and phrase sequencer
Program memory: up to 1,000 programs and multi-timbral setups
Velocity sensitive: Yes
Keyboard: 37-key, synth action
External control: MIDI in/out/thru
Inputs: 2 balanced 1/4” TRS, mic
Outputs: 2 balanced 1/4” TRS, 1/4” TRS headphone
Pedal Inputs: Assignable expression pedal, sustain pedal

Sound: (5/5) I've owned quite a few analog modelling synths now including the Micron's biggest competitor, the Korg Microkorg. This is a very, very nice sounding synth. The presets are okay. There's some nice gritty bass sounds, a ton of different pads and a bunch of drum hits. Due to there only being 3 knobs, programming new sounds can be a pain and will require extensive manual-reading.

Equipment Quality: (5/5) Heavier than I expected. Very nicely built. Potentially bad design decision to have almost all commands issued via the main knob which has been known to break after a while according to some review sites.

Usefulness: (4/5) If you're after a cool sounding, reasonably priced synth to add some new sounds to your tracks this thing is perfect. I have it hooked up to my setup just as a midi-controlled synth to record SFX layers into Live and it works perfectly. It's basically a slightly more feature rich Microkorg.

Overall Value: (5/5) If you can get it for a good price, I would buy it again. Except for the potential difficultly programming new patches, it's a great synth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU