Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squonk
Jan 7, 2005

Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle...
Title of Equipment: Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer Guitar Pedal
Price Paid / Price New: $200/$250
Year Manufactured: 2002

Specs:
Steel housing
Wall-based AC adapter
2 1/4" mono input/output jacks
Controllable via 10 on-pedal sliders:
Control to set trigger level (level of sound to activate pedal)
A mixer to control levels of clean guitar, pitch trackers, and square wave sounds
Two pitch-tracking oscillators (tracks a single guitar note below the octave and above the octave)
"Square wave" distortion
Control to set attack delay
Moog-style filter with 4 slider controls to shape resonance/start and stop frequency/rate of filter sweep

Sound: 5/5
Many questions have been raised about the sound of this pedal. Its components are analog and it has the warmth of tone you'd expect from analog circuity. The fuzz sounds excellent (especially for leads and power chords) and the pitch-tracking oscillators can significantly beef up leads or single-note riffs. However, the best thing about this pedal, in my opinion, is the filter. It has the tone quality inherent in a Moog-style filter, and by tinkering with the frequency, resonance, and filter sweep sliders, you can add an entirely new dimension to your music. Occasionally you'll hear some cracks and pops, but this is to be expected from an analog device.
Equipment Quality: 5/5
The pedal is housed in a strong steel container and other users have reported the electronics to be reliable.
Usefulness: 4/5
This pedal can serve as many things, such as: a distortion pedal, an octave divider, a synthesizer, and an auto wah-wah pedal. However, I'd highly recommend using it with a guitar with humbucking pickups, as many elements of the pedal hinge on a concept known as triggering. There is a slider on the unit that sets the signal level that the pedal should receive before triggering the oscillators and filter. With a single-coil pickup, I found it difficult to trigger the pedal, even with the trigger slider set to its minimum. 'Retriggering,' or the pedal activating too many times, can also become a frustrating problem. Otherwise, this pedal is immensely useful for changing your guitar's sound.
Overall Value: 5/5
This pedal has served me well, and for the money ($200-$250), I doubt you could find another with its level of versatility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU