Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brobot
Jan 8, 2005
Donkey / Monkey Combination Boy
Title of Equipment Example: Line 6 HD 147
Price Paid / Price New: $600 / $1,249
Year Manufactured: Example: 2004
Specs:
Chrome
regular 3-prong power plug
1 input
4 speaker outs (two left, two right)
2 XLR outs
1 headphone out
Cat5 footswitch out for proprietary footswitch
300 watts

Sound: 5/5
Maybe it's just because I just got it and I'm so utterly stoked with it that my review might be a little colored. It's also my first new head in about 5 years. I used to use only Ampeg VL-series heads, but decided to move onto digital. I am not really a fan of digital stuff, but the HD 147 sounds great. It doesn't have that weird digital top-end that is so irritating. It sounds like a tube amp in the cases of the tube amps that it's modeling. It's a tad bit bright, but the tone controls are very flexible, as is the presence control.

Equipment Quality: 4/5
I waited to buy one of these for a whole year after my friend Steve got one. I wanted to make sure that his would stand up to all the touring that his band does, and after a year or so, I asked him if he had any problems. He said he hadn't, so I got one. The black light is a bit cheesy, and I'm not a fan of the cat5 cable you have to use to run to the proprietary (overpriced) foot pedals. The chrome no-doubt scratches easily and definitely leaves smudges if you touch the thing.

Usefulness: Example 5/5
It's extremely useful. The hardest time I had with this was choosing ONE tone that I really liked for my main sound. I only have the FBV4 (4 channel footswitch) for now, but having 4 totally different channels at your control is pretty awesome. The first channel is clean with a bit of delay, the second one has a phaser type effect with a little grit, the third is my main distortion channel and the 4th is a distortion channel with some delay and a bit of tremolo on it. All the on-board effects are great. I never really used effects before, but it's nice to have them all so conveniently located.

Overall Value: Example 4/5
It was certainly worth the price I paid (I got my on eBay), but I think that $1,249 may be a little excessive. I guess when you stack that up against a Mesa/Boogie, it's not too bad, but it seems a little steep to me. With all the onboard sounds (there's gotta be something like 800 possible combinations of tones) and the effects, it makes for a very useful amp. I can't wait to record with it and use it live with the XLR outs and no cab mic'ing.

The only problem with this thing is that it looks so fragile, I want to buy a case for it and the pedalboards are outrageously expensive. Otherwise, I'm completely satisfied. Now I jsut need to get some decent cabs to match it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU