Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Fender (Mexican) Cyclone
Price: $549
Year (Purchased): 2004
Specs:
  • 1 Tex-Mex Single Coil, 1 Atomic Humbucker
  • 22 Fret Maple neck, and Rosewood Fretboard.
  • Chrome Hardware
  • Jazz bass-esque body
Sound: 4/5
Due to the pickup configuration (1 slanted single coil in the neck position, one humbucker at the bridge), a wide variety of sounds are possible. The Tex-Mex single coil at the neck is excellent for a jangly clean tone, and the Atomic humbucker is also available for a more smooth, mellow tone. Through distortion, this guitar sounds great for Rock or Blues, but don't think you're going to get a hardcore/metal/whatever sound from it without pickup replacement (I replaced the Atomic HB in mine with a Seymour-Duncan Detonator, and get a much more saturated distortion now). Tone control is available through one Tone Knob and one Volume knob. Both are quite sensitive (especially the tone knob, which actually *controls* the tone, instead of just being an on/off switch like some guitars seem to have).

Instrument Quality: 5/5
The neck is smooth, and playable. The guitar is just absolutely gorgeous. Imagine a Jazz Bass converted into a guitar; this is the exact body style of this instrument, even down to the volume/tone/input jack being on an off-shot metal strip. The tuning heads this guitar comes with are adequate, though you may want to consider an upgrade to locking heads, if that's your thing. The tremelo is useable, in that it doesn't wildly knock the guitar out of tune after only the smallest ammount of use. The weight of this guitar is medium. I've heald lighter guitars, and my Fender Deluxe Fat Strat is heavier; regardless, shoulder strain is minimal. This guitar comes in a variety of colors (mine being red), and comes with a pearloid 3-layer pickguard, as opposed to standard white.

Playbility:4/5
The neck is smooth, straight, and very playable. My guitar came fully intonated, so that was never a problem. No string buzz, but there is some string "slap" when using the single coil, but then again, I use semi-light guage strings. Higher guaged strings would result in less string slack, and eliminate this problem. I can find no real fault with the playability of this guitar, but I have played guitars that have a better "feel", for lack of a better term.

Overall Value: 4/5
I'd buy this guitar as a stepping stone between your Squier Strat/Epiphone Les Paul and a higher priced model. This guitar has better stock pickups than most similarly priced guitars, and the playability, look, and feel are excellent. I highly reccomend it.

Occupy Japan fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 5, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU