Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Robert Keeley Modded ProCo Rat II w/Boss-style DC jack
Price Paid:$165 US
Year:2005
Specs:
Stock ProCo Rat II distortion pedal modified by Robert Keeley's shop. Blue LED and 3-way toggle switch added, plus many components changed to improve sound quality. Stock input/output jacks changed to Boss-style jacks. (this is optional)
Sound:4.5/5
Three separate modes controlled by the added toggle switch. Mode one is like an "unmodified" Rat. It's a bit lower in volume than the other two modes and sounds a bit more vintage. Mode two is the Phat Rat, and it does exactly what the name implies: increases the volume, adds some bass response and fattens the whole sound up. Mode three is called Mighty Mouse, and functions as a clean boost. This pedal is extremely versatile. It can go from slightly dirty blues to crunchy AC/DC riffs and everything in between. It's definitely best suited to classic rock and metal sounds.
Quality:5/5
The new jacks are better quality than the standard ones, and with it's metal casing you could probably use the Rat as a hammer without damaging it.
Usefulness:4.5/5
As I stated earlier, great for classic balls-to-the-wall rock riffs and dirty blues soloes. Could concievably do really heavy stuff if tweaked properly.
Overall:4.5/5
Extremely versatile, fits in with nearly every genre of music you can throw at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Carvin DC127M
Price: $1100Cdn factory direct
Year: 2006
Specs:
I ordered this guitar through Carvin's custom shop. I chose an all mahogany neck-thru, tung-oiled neck with jet black body, 24 fret ebony fretboard, stainless steel medium jumbo frets, string-thru body fixed bridge, Sperzel locking tuners, Carvin's C22N and C22B humbuckers, coil splitters for each humbucker and phase switch.
Sound: 4.5/5
The coil splitters and phase switch mean that this guitar is extremely versatile, being able to switch to a close approximation of a single coil sound. Can handle drat near anything. The 4.5 is because I feel the pups are a tad bright; I may replace them with Duncans at some point.
Instrument Quality: 5/5
Top notch components, flawless construction.
Playbility: 5/5
The stainless steel frets and tung-oiled neck mean that this guitar plays buttery-smooth. Great upper fret access, balances well, not too heavy. What more can you ask for?
Overall Value: 5/5
For the money, you'll find no better value. I've played guitars that cost TWICE the price I paid for this Carvin that couldn't touch it in the playability or sound departments. I can see this guitar staying with me for a long time.

Plus, Carvin has a huge selection of options, so you can get just about anything you want. They also have a guitar called a California Carved Top in the PRS style that'll probably be my next guitar.