Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Not enough keyboards around here, so without further ado:
Roland RD-700GX

Here is the blurb from the roland web site:

quote:

Step onstage and step up to the world’s most impressive stage pianos, with amazing pianos and EPs onboard, plus audio-play and master control features. The RD-700GX is powered by Roland’s latest sound engine for incredible sound quality. The flagship RD-700GX leads the market with its SuperNATURAL™ instruments and a PHA II “Ivory Feel” keyboard with Escapement.

So yeah, that sounds pretty good. But, does IT sounds good?

Yes. Yes it does.

Price Paid / Price New: Example: £1,229.00 / (£1954.15-£2299.00, depends where you ask)
Mine was cheaper because it was used at a trade fair and is ex-display. However the only people who touched it at the trade fair were Roland Reps or pros and when it was on display it was not really within reach of the plebs who come in and play chopstix on the first thing they see.

Year Manufactured: 2008 I believe

Specs:
  • 88-key stereo multi-sampled piano sounds
  • 88-key weighted keyboards
  • PHA II “Ivory Feel” with Escapement
  • Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy on stage control with Audio Key feature
  • Piano Designer function for creating the perfect custom instruments, plus eight multi-effects processors
  • Three MIDI outputs, multiple zones for master-control functionality

Sound: 5/5
This thing sounds more like a piano than anything else I have touched. It can also sound like pretty much anything else it wants to, which is amazing. Most of it is sampled, thats with different tones for p and f, with dampners etc - same goes for instruments. I've spent days just fooling around with the sound effects, playing whole orchestra suites etc. However this for me is primarily a piano, since I don't have the room, and move around too much. Nothing can replace a real piano, the feeling when the strings are resonating through your hands into your soul. However this is as close as it gets for me at the moment. Sounds great through my amp (see below) and my sure e2c earphones (that need replacing since the right one doesn't work).

Instrument Quality: 5/5
I wanted something that would last as long as I will, and this thing is pretty solid, it is designed for gigging so can survive being dropped. I would love to do some gigs but need a to get a band together first. I am not worried about breaking it with Rachmanimov like I would be with some keyboards (and that stand is a loving rock - quicklok are great). It looks great, although black shows dust.

Playbility: 5/5
I play this everyday, and probably will until the day I die. I love it. The touch is simply supurb, and adjustable. I have not even begun to explore everything you can do with it.

Overall Value: 4.5/5
I love this but it is expensive so that has to drop slightly from perfect. Over the years to come (and when I get a real piano) I can see this becoming the go to whenever I want to do some recording and when whoever lives with me needs me to use headphones. Also intend to start gigging with it soon (i hope).

Onto the AMP
Roland PM-10
This is for practise, since keyboards are normally hooked up through PA anyways. It does what is required of it, I need nothing bigger since it can keep up with the other amps in the room.
It is however a DRUM amp - madness you may say however it has pretty much the exact same specs as the key amp I would have got plus my drummer can put in his electric drum set AND it is a wedge so in my small room I can hear exactly what is coming out without it bouncing off all the walls first.

Price Paid / Price New: £199.00 / around that, perhaps slightly more

Specs: 30 W, 10 inch (250mm) Woofer + 3 inch (77mm) Tweeter (Coaxial, 2-way)

Sound: 5/5 Don't have much to rate it against but sounds good to me.
Quality: 5/5 Doesn't mind being smacked around abit so that is good in my book.
Usefulness: 5/5 No internal speakers on the my keys so this is extremely useful if I don't want to use my broken earbuds.

Overall Value: 5/5
Without this the keys are useless and anything cheaper would affect the sound quality.

All of this was from Windows of Newcastle, probably one of the best music shops ever.

IN conclusion: wow.

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU