Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It was not first degree at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

It was not first degree at all.
no way he was ever letting him walk out of there. dude showed up just to get got.

also who was that one character mentioned in a single episode that was the last living descendent of Emperor Rudolf that lived out their days in anonymity after maybe doing a crime? im too scared to look up anything of the LOGH wiki lest I spoil myself at the last second

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think anything happened to the kaiserrin who gave the throne to reinhard

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

You gotta keep in mind how scale works in this setting. There are oodles of planets that have been colonized, with battles where the deathcount is routinely in the millions.

It's smaller than you might think. The largest single battle in the war, the one that cripples the alliance and guarantees their loss, "only" had 22 million people involved on both sides. Now, that's pretty big, sure. 22 times the size of the Battle of the Bulge, give or take.

But that was a war on one world, with a population of 2 billion. Two multi-planetary governments fighting for the fate of the whole galaxy "only" sending 22 times that is on the modest side. (Then again, the history of LoGH has a lot of mass die-offs, without the horniness of UC Gundam to get everyone back in shape in time for the next one. Total population pool is probably lower than you'd expect.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A lot of the planets we see, especially in the Empire, look to be super low population density. Hell, IIRC Heinessen itself only had like two billion people or so at the height of the war despite being the capital of the whole Alliance.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

:qq:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

I got the joke

also lol julian does a first-degree murder too

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Also presumably a lot harder to mass conscript grunts when youd need to operate in space vs "here's a gun, walk over there"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

also this was a pretty fantastic burn. i don't think this guy ever got angry!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mecklinger is low-key one of my favorites from the series. Him and the poor gently caress who served as leader of the FPA puppet state.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can’t remember what Mecklinger was like in battle, just that he tried teaching the other admirals about art and they got bored

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gaius Marius posted:

Mecklinger is low-key one of my favorites from the series. Him and the poor gently caress who served as leader of the FPA puppet state.
Nick Boltik? yeah lol talk about owned

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw, rebelo dude got hosed

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw, rebelo dude got hosed
lol the mutineers thought Reinhard was gonna be grateful and he just had them all summarily executed instead

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The problem with traitors motivated by money and power is they're traitors motivated by money and power.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watched the first episode of the Neue These and it seems perfectly fine but I'm not sure what the point is. They could have gone back to square one in adapting the novels from scratch but instead they took all the designs of the old show and just made them look more 2020 anime

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Now you know the point

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Watched the first episode of the Neue These and it seems perfectly fine but I'm not sure what the point is. They could have gone back to square one in adapting the novels from scratch but instead they took all the designs of the old show and just made them look more 2020 anime

Yeah it's a total waste of time and talent. Go adapt Titania or something.

TenementFunster posted:

lol the mutineers thought Reinhard was gonna be grateful and he just had them all summarily executed instead

Yeah, I always have sympathy for those dudes who try so hard but are hosed by the circumstances. Joao did the best he could but was ultimately serving two contradictory masters at once. Glad Trunicht got blasted after seeing that snake live after real ones like Rebelo got fed to the graveyard.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

P-Mack posted:

It's pretty good and looks great. Did there need to be more reason?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bad Seafood posted:

The problem with traitors motivated by money and power is they're traitors motivated by money and power.
actually, the problem is that they are men without honor, and thus their existence is an insult to the reign of Kaiser Reinhard von Lohengramm

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They were also without sense which played a huge part

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

TenementFunster posted:

yeah but the guy is almost as big a creep as Oberstein. i wouldn't let him give me a ride home, much less follow him into a fight against a Hall of Fame Himbo like Wolfgang Mittermeyer

e: and just lol at Reuenthal scheduling an appointment to do a straight-up first-degree murder on Trunicht on his way out
Reuenthal's rebellion may have killed millions but Trunicht died in the end so who can say if this was good or bad.
It's kind of funny that he even talked to him before the end just to confirm Trunicht really was as awful as he seemed and shot him because the only way to take over is by launching a military rebellion damm it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m calling net positive

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
in the last ep, julian said Trunicht was secretly working to restore democracy by "working within the system" didn't he?

edit:
okay yeah i didn't just make that up:

anyway, let me know when man of wax and the rest of the raspberry heaven crew drops by the thread again. i told them on SADCHUB that i'd finish LOGH eventually, so i'm ready to chat about it now.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 14, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TenementFunster posted:

in the last ep, julian said Trunicht was secretly working to restore democracy by "working within the system" didn't he?

Amazing

The deeds of men remain the same

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Steve Yun posted:

Amazing

The deeds of men remain the same
okay, maybe in my age, but surely not in my place.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

edit:

anyway, let me know when man of wax and the rest of the raspberry heaven crew drops by the thread again. i told them on SADCHUB that i'd finish LOGH eventually, so i'm ready to chat about it now.

poor loving Julian. his life is pretty much back to back war zones. bro holds it together tho and proves he's not just some rando extra

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TenementFunster posted:

jesus that sent me back in time

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

still a bitch tho

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

edit:

thinking back on this isn't that Oliver talking?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

thinking back on this isn't that Oliver talking?
it’s the narrator telling us about Julian’s inner monologue and Poplin doesn’t have one of those. he only cares about pussy, fighter jets, and calling Dusty Attenborough gay/old.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

it’s the narrator telling us about Julian’s inner monologue and Poplin doesn’t have one of those. he only cares about pussy, fighter jets, and calling Dusty Attenborough gay/old.

oh poo poo I really do need to watch the series again

looking at those screens again I could see Julian overanalyzing the situation

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

looking at those screens again I could see Julian overanalyzing the situation
that’s our boy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

still a bitch tho

Redundant with anyone who says they’re “working within the system for good”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Even if Trunicht was trying to restore democracy, his actions were one of the primary drivers that caused democracy to collapse in the first place.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kanos posted:

Even if Trunicht was trying to restore democracy, his actions were one of the primary drivers that caused democracy to collapse in the first place.
take it up with the omnipotent narrator

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Just trying to reinstate the system most condusive/familiar to him gaining and maintaining power

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Schwarzwald posted:

jesus that sent me back in time
:regd04:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Remember don't negotiate with terrorists Terraists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Just trying to reinstate the system most condusive/familiar to him gaining and maintaining power
Yeah, it's this. What's Trunicht supposed to do with a landed aristocracy?

Besides getting shot.